PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Over here (UK)a person can start smoking at 16 but can't buy baccy until they are 18.I never could work this one out.My middle grandson smokes and his dad buys his baccy for him. !!!
Tom

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I wonder if this law is meant to do just what you described. Makes sure that the parents know they are smoking if you have to buy them for your kid. Still kind of a qwerky law.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Sounds like the two different laws written separately had two different goals.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I never got the drink at 21, when you could go fight for your country at 18? Hell If someone is gonna fight in a war, they should be able to drink

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It's to "protect our kids" from the dangers of drinking and driving by giving them some time behind the wheel of a car before they start drinking. Soldiers should be omitted from this law.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Strange laws.... My youngest son is a police office for a nearby town. In Iowa you can be a police officer at 19, but must be 21 to purchase or carry a handgun. I had to buy his handgun (Glock 21 .45) and ammo for him, and do so until he's 21 this coming Feb. BUT, he can carry the gun while he is on duty. (Actually he decided he liked my Kimber TLE/II .45 I used to carry better, and it just somehow wound up in his holster one day.)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Back in the early 1970's when the voting age was lowered some states lowered the drinking age to 18. New Jersey was one. New York's drinking age was 18 for many years before that. While 21 is probably prudent it does seem a bit out of synch with what young people are permitted to do.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
We had the same situation papipeguy refers to in Michigan. The justification for raising it back went something like this, IIRC:
When the drinking age is 21,you have 21 year olds buying for their younger friends, who are probably 19 or 20. When the drinking age is 18, you have 18 year olds buying for their younger friends, who are 16 or 17.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Hey gecko13, kudos to your son serving and protecting. What part of Iowa are you from, I am from the se corner?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Down here in the south they sell beer in super stores and past the times restrictions allowed for wine and liquor.

Why is there a distinction. It's all alcohol.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Where I grew up in OH it was the same deal until they actually outlawed smoking for minors. You could smoke but you could not buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.