PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Briar showed a lesser quality grain than abitual to my taste so definetly i will smoke that pipe.Shank is long enough to give cool smoke and the final part of the stem has been cut in the Ardor style,that will give (guess) nice grip to my teeth

Maurizio
dsc2921q.jpg

dsc2922.jpg

dsc2923l.jpg

dsc2924p.jpg

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Very nice work!! How do you make this? Do you buy a pre drilled block with stem? Or do you drill and fit the stem yourself? I would really like to try and carve my own pipe, but I'm just unsure the best way to attack it. Thanks! And keep it up!

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Y'know I'm not too big on your paneled pipes, but that's because I'm not in to panels. Whenever you do shapes like this though...they just kick my ass.
Bravo sir. :clap:
Edit:

I just noticed the detail around the lip of the stem and I love it. My word that is a beauty.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
pre drilled blocks on the market have usually a bad quality.Of course better blocks are for the pipe makers and they choice them usually in the warehouse of the producer.I do that when i can but i have a seller that become friend that send me the same briar used by the best Italian and Danish pipe makers .Pre drilled blocks also leave to the carver the same liberty as a dog with a chain .No way to decide the shape the diameter of the drills etc etc.Stems are pre machined because i use delrin tenons not possible to be turned with a late.Sometime they're shaped and sometime simply bars .All are at finally or totally or partially carved and finished following the shape of the pipe i have in mind

Maurizio

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
It's a strange kind of fever my friends.I carve mines and i still continue to buy quality pipes.Today a tobacconist had a box with about 20-25 pipes some new some pre smoked owned by a guy that have them from his father passed away.4 Castello old production ( collection,castello,old antiquary,sea rock) some caminetto,some peterson unsomoked several sav punto oro and many others.I made an offer that certainly he could not refuse.......guess i will buy them :wink:

Maurizio

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"Your talent is awesome!"

well don't know, there are so many pipe makers here in italy with a lot of talent that i doubt I could be called "pipe maker" at all

Maurizio

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
One of the next days if my english will permit i will post pic of the tools i use and the work in progress step by step.Of course if somebody is interested on making pipes yourself

Maurizio

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am, I am finishing off a kit pipe. It isn't anywhere near as pretty as your pipes. I wasn't lucky with the grain at all. :cry:

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Maurizio,

Go ahead and post pic's. Seeing how you work and tools you use should

bridge the language barrier.

Joe

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
One can see the lava flows down the side of that volcano in the grain, Maurizio. Brilliant :clap:
And beware the Italian who makes "[A]n offer that certainly he could not refuse......." 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.