PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
They’ve definitely grown on me. A really old CC (1992) opened my eyes to what they could be. I also think they need time to air out/dry/mature, and they can get better as the bowl goes on. Try opening a tin and come back to it in a few months or a year and see if that changes anything.

I hated the 2018 CRF when I first opened it, then I had a bowl the other day (tins been open since 2020), and I still hated it. But 5 minutes in the flavors started to cohere and mellow out and it became extremely enjoyable.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tend to smoke anything

A: A few years now, on and off for ages before that.

B: It was just 'boring' and bitey, that is the easiest way to describe it subjectively I suppose.

C: Dark Fired / Lat blends typically.

Bitey, boring, not much going on.

I'll give it a go!

I smoked Wessex Dark Campaign flake from 2012
you're smoking it hot that is clear. Doesn't mean you'll like them but that is like drinking soda too hot. Just not the way they're meant to be consumed. All pipe tobacco in my opinion is better smoked cool but VA are the most changed by it. They are my favorite style but not for any time my attention is split.

NikoReyes

Lurker
May 1, 2023
Pipe tobacco offers a wide range of flavors, from mellow and tea-like to bold and robust. Whether you enjoy the lighter Virginia blends or prefer the punch of Latakia or dark-fired tobacco, there's no right or wrong. Embrace the variety and savor the experience that brings you the most enjoyment.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
While I normally smoke English and Balkan blends because of my affinity for latakia, I do dedicate a few pipes for VA flake and VA perique as a change of pace. Although VA flakes can be quite harsh on the tongue, I find that the perique tones down the harshness somewhat. Also, there are some VA flakes that tend to be milder than others--Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake comes to mind.