PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Personally I like 3/4 bent but I do have a Kaywoodie Straight billiard that I love.Although for me it has to bent at least a 1/4 for the aesthetics....damn you sherlock..lol

potter

Lurker
Feb 28, 2013
I prefer a straight pipe, not to mean i dislike bent pipes but of the four pipes I currently own three of them are straight.. My first pipe was a 1/4 bent Corncob but since then I fell in love with the look of a straight pipe. I've head my eye on a 1/4 bent Pot but I still find the straight pipes, more often than not, pleasing to the eye

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
75% to 25% I like bent mostly but all my straights are Cobs accept one Dunhill. I usually pick my pipe according to what I want to smoke.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
The majority of my pipes are bent. I prefer bents because they are more comfortable to clench.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I have 12 pipes. Nine straight and three bent. I smoke mostly Virginia's in the straight and aromatics in my bent pipes. The bents can be harder to clean.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Out of over 100 pipes I only have 20 bent pipes, I guess you would say I prefer straight. I started out thinking I liked bent better, but the more I smoked them the better I liked straights. It really just depends on what I look at and think yea that's the one for this smoke. LOL :roll:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I honestly like the look of bent pipes better - straight pipes remind me of Professor Utonium, J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, and all of the dads in 1950's TV shows...
But I'll probably get one, even if only to enjoy it ironically like a hipster. :D

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

I have more bent pipes, but I try to have a balance of 50/50. Both type has its advantages.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nine years ago? Paleolithic. I have about equal numbers, but I never choose a pipe to pack with that in the front of my mind.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, the previous post was "only" six years ago! But we see today we also have a gent who signed up here 8 years ago, and just made his first post! Outstanding!

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
I only have a single curved pipe, but it is definitely my favorite looking of all of mine (including the several new ones that I got from ebay). However, I almost never use it anymore. I'm not sure if I just prefer how my other ones smoke, or if looks better to smoke from a straight pipe

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can't remember when I owned a straight pipe. Maybe back in my college daze. And, it's been a few years since one even caught my eye in a shop. My two dozen or so run the gamut from full to quarter bent. I guess straights just don't fit my eye.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I’m guessing about 3/4 of my pipes are bent to some degree. The prevalence of Stanwell 86s and 95s and Peterson System pipes nudges bends and curves into an aggressive lead. That said, all but a few of my MM cobs are straight, and the straight billiard and straight pot are two of my favorite shapes. :puffy:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
My latest purchases have all been bent billiards. It's now about 50/50 for me, but I smoke my bents far more as I find them more comfortable when I'm driving or working with my hands.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Lotsa factors. My best smoker is a bent Vauen, but for the most part, I'm a straight billiard cat.
For some reason, I have a 3/4 bent Savinelli I've kept around that I always reach for when I smoke a shag blend.
This is post is more neuroses than reportage.

Status
Not open for further replies.