PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hello all
Today I recieved the blending tobaccos I ordered from Smoking Pipes. These are all straight blending tobaccos with no flavorings or toppings that I’m aware of. Latakia came in a 2 oz tin. The rest are 1 oz in small ziploc bags. All will be jarred in the next day or two.
My intent is to try these tobaccos individually so I can learn the differences and expand my knowledge when it comes to smoking all the wonderful blends out there. I already know that I’m in a Latakia phase right now. I really enjoy Latakia forward blends like 10 Russians, Pirate Kake, Westminster etc. Getting a little confused with Virginias and Burleys as I’ve had some good and not so good. Only Va/Per I’ve tried yet is Escudo and I absolutely did not care for it. Tasted like a stale cigarette to me. Going to give it another try in a different pipe before I give up on it. Also very much understand my tastes will evolve and change over time.
Anyway, here’s the breakdown:
C&D Latakia

C&D Long Cut Perique

C&D Izmir Turkish

C&D Red Virginia Ribbon

C&D Bright Virginia Ribbon

Peter Stokkebye PS701 Virginia

C&D Burley Ribbon

C&D Dark Fired Kentucky
My big question is trying these tobaccos individually but only have 4, maybe 5 pipes max to try them in. My question is which tobaccos can I smoke in the same pipe without ghosting each other?
Can I smoke all 3 Virginias in one pipe?

Any others I can smoke in the same pipe without affecting the taste?

Should I let the pipes rest a day or two between tobaccos?
I’m going for the purest, cleanest taste possible for each tobacco. I’ll be using both briars and MM cobs, all well broken in, cleaned and rotated. I’m planning on loading a half bowl per. I understand some of these will be awful by themselves (straight Perique probably not so great?). Of course later on I’ll start blending some of these together but only after I’ve tried them individually. Thanks.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
When I did my experimenting I used only two MM cobs, and then two briars. I would think you can do all the virginias, the perique, and the burley in one pipe, and the latakia and turkish in another. If you like, keep the latakia in one and the turkish in a third pipe. Then, if you want to go with a fourth, separate the perique from the virginias and burley.
I'm sure others will make suggestions too. I'm pretty new at this.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
If you really want to get the purest, cleanest taste, pick up a bag of M&M seconds and use those. Then there will be no possibility of cross talk.
That’s exactly what I’m going to do. Thanks.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Dont Forget to chime in with your tasting notes
I hear 100 percent Latakia can taste like burning rubber and there is some synergy in blending which alters individual components , not to mention aging can also change the experience again.

Latakia and perique are very smoke-able by themself, but yes, they do change quite a bit when blended, especially perique. Perique doesn't have the nicotine molecule the same as in all other tobaccos. In the fermenting process it has become a whole new compound and molecule. It will intensify existing nicotine and flavors, but it doesn't add any of its own. This is why you don't get a nicotine buzz from straight perique... unless it is blended with pressed dark fired like Mark Ryan does.
Also, I find that the blending Virginias lack a lot. They are not nearly as good as a Virginia sold to be smoked as it is. I'm thinking that this shows that either the blending tobaccos just have less flavor, or that everything else is very cased.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I didn’t know perique fermenting takes away nicotine , I’m always searching for low nic options not short on taste .

The perique process turns the nicotine molecule into a compound molecule. It no longer has the same effect as nicotine. However, Virginias have enormous amounts of nicotine, enough to kill you. But, the acidity doesn't allow you to absorb much of it. The perique makes the nicotine in the Virginia more absorb-able. Add in a little burley, and it becomes a powerhouse nic hit.
So, straight perique without any dark fired added via La Poche Periques, will not make you nicotine sick at all. But, add it to a blend, and it multiplies the absorbency of the nicotine.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cosmic, I have heard stories of new workers processing perique getting very ill from the effects of nicotine through skin absorption if they aren't careful. Is this because it is not yet fully processed or due to a difference in absorption through skin, or maybe the stories are just hyperbole? Curious if you have any input, knowing as much as you do.

Yeh, at Le Poche, they have maybe a couple of workers... I'll let you guess. I touched the barrel but didn't get sick. But, then again, just because a nicotine is a new compound doesn't mean the new compound isn't going to make you sick. But, also... keep in mind that Le Poche blends their perique with dark fired, so... lots of different answers.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Thanks coz , this is good to know . One of my first trial by fire blends was Elizabethan mixture and it started to give me spins , but nothing bad.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Just sampled my latest blend after a 6 week rest to let the tobaccos meld. I used Maryland , bright Virginia , cavendish and a little oriental and lat.
Tastes a lot like a Romeo e Juliet with a Turkish cigarette smell. I really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.