Story Time w/Servant King, Part II: The Gifting Continues!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
(See Part I of the story here)

When my wife came back from the post office on Friday, there was a small box addressed to her business, from a good friend of ours. She runs a thrift store out in the SoCal desert, and knows that I smoke a pipe. She must've been thankful for the London Fog trenchcoat I gifted her for her shop earlier this year, useless to me in my current location, but very appealing to LA hipsters. The contents of this box were the last thing I was expecting:

la rocca.jpg

barling.jpg

barling closeup.jpg

That's a La Rocca Due bent billiard on top, going for that same faux-Oom Paul motif that my Savinelli Tortuga 614 has. I realize that this is just a basket pipe, but it's light, beautifully designed, and should provide me with a nice filterless alternative. But the real gem is the other--upon looking into the stamp, I realized I had been gifted a Barling. Now, I know relatively little about them, but I do know enough to know that this ain't just some random basket pipe! This one has a very deep bowl, and is also filterless. Both of them also required barely any cleanup. They pass a pipecleaner well, and I look forward to trying out the Barling this afternoon with a VA or something similarly innocuous.

Needless to say, I'm very thankful for the generosity of others, especially in the last year. Pipe gifts from numerous people (both friends and complete strangers), the Tortuga from @Streeper541 , and a most delightful cache of samples from @TheIronMonkey (and a Foyard too!) that I'm still working on. I really appreciate the camraderie of this forum, and the wealth of information I've gleaned from it in the past...wow, almost two years now. I know I mostly gravitate toward obnoxious sarcasm and bad puns in lieu of helpful advice on most posts, but I really am indebted to @admin and the rest of the staff for running such an efficient operation. May it continue for many years to come!

And lastly...calling @sablebrush52 ! Hope you can help me ID this one with your vast cerebral Barling library. The shank says "BBS" in fancy curlicue cursive on one side, and "LONDON ENGLAND" on the other, if that helps.

regards,
Gabe aka Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Posting pictures of any of the stamps on the stummel will help with the ID.

I have a small Barling with a similar BB&S stamp on the stem that is from around the transition period in 1962.
barling closeup 2.jpg

barling closeup 3.jpg

The two engravings on the shank and the one on the stem is all that's on there. Nothing else, neither on the underside (which perplexed me) nor anywhere else. Sorry for the blurry quality!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And lastly...calling @sablebrush52 ! Hope you can help me ID this one with your vast cerebral Barling library. The shank says "BBS" in fancy curlicue cursive on one side, and "LONDON ENGLAND" on the other, if that helps
BB&S is one of those Barling mysteries only partially understood. Of course, the BB&S stands for the company's original name, Benjamin Barling & Sons, and they apparently released pipes under that name around the turn of the last century, based on the one and only example that has turned up.

The period I'm familiar with is from the 1970's, when the BB&S line was established as a second line of pipes, with a range of grades. These were likely made by Oppenheimer, though this one has a distinctly Danish influence. But as it is stamped LONDON ENGLAND and all of the Nording made product I've seen is stamped Denmark, it's not a Nording. John Adler, former chairman of Oppenheimer, wrote to me to confirm that they had manufactured Barling pipes for Imperial after the Barling factories were closed.
This is likely 1970's, made by Oppenheimer.