PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Good afternoon chaps and chapesses!

I have just received my first ever bulk purchase of baki from smoking pipes. 56 oz of Atltadis 965 match. 56 oz of Cornell & Diehl morning bayou and 68 oz of Peter Stokkebye bulseye.

Having never stored this amount, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Currently they are in large tuppaware type boxes. Are they ok keeping 56 oz all together or should I store in lesser amounts?

Thanks in advance

Apr 6, 2013
I forgot: Its a good idea to divide them into smaller amounts, so that when you want to smoke then, you can open just one, and the rest will stay in the best condition for aging or just storing.

Jul 15, 2011
Okay, don't laugh, but I have to ask. Does it need air to continue aging or does one heat the jars to create a partial vacuum? I have visions of the old canning process I grew up with.
Russ Oulette wrote a very good article about this in the latest pipes and cigars magazine. You can really go either way with this one, some guys like to heat treat the jars to create the seal while others, (like me), just stuff the tobacco in the can, twist the lid on, and not worry about it. I suggest trying it both ways and see which works for you, but me, personally, I just stuff the tobacco in and dont worry about it, thogh I have yet to see what significant aging under these conditions does as my oldest jar is only about 6 months old.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You definitely want to break it down in smaller batches - it's a lot easier to deal with. Canning jars are what I use, along with most everyone else.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Make sure it has a good rubber seal or gasket... mason jars are good. Your local dollar store may have different types, and keep in cool dark place away from sunlight....works for me. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.