PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I just received my first tin of PPSR and I'm unsure how to best store it since it won't fit into my jars as is (big square brownie).

What's the best way to get it down to size while not compromising the flavors/experience?
While we're at it, what's your favorite way to process/pack it?

Thank you and apologies if this was covered previously. I did some searching, but couldn't seem to find the info I was looking for.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Personally I just chop it in blocks just skinny enough to fit in a jar, or use a wide mouth jar. I like to keep in in plug form for the most part.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I use wide open mouth jars for plug.

or you can do as suggested and take a razor blade and slice it into a few chunks.

once it's jarred this shouldn't affect it.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Will do. Thanks, y'all.

Now as far as smoking it... got any advice? I'm happy to experiment, but I'm curious if there's a method that is known to yield best results for most?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'm curious if there's a method that is known to yield best results for most?

If you're talking about aging and what effect chopping up the block is going to have, In theory you're increasing the surface space by cutting up a block and exposing more surface to air. Yeah perhaps it's changes the fermentation. I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think he means for actually smoking the plug.

I usually just pinch off a corner if possible...
I haven't smoked PPSR so I couldn't tell you its density.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I think he means for actually smoking the plug.

I meant both actually. How to best process it for storage, and how to process small amounts for smoking.

I think I've got some good answers on both fronts, so thanks to all for the prompt replies. I've got a 4oz chunk of PPSR deliciousness in front of me right now. It's taking everything I have not to take a bite ?

I meant both actually. How to best process it for storage, and how to process small amounts for smoking.

I think I've got some good answers on both fronts, so thanks to all for the prompt replies. I've got a 4oz chunk of PPSR deliciousness in front of me right now. It's taking everything I have not to take a bite ?

I you do decide to take a bite of it, you will never do it again.... puffy

Please don't ask me how I know this.... Ever smelled 3P's by Peterson? :)

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Sometimes I like to break this one off into small chunks, it still smokes great regardless of not rubbing it out all the way.

Reactions: Dirty D
Status
Not open for further replies.