PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I recently bought a 1lbs box of the Bold KY Flake. It already has a few years on it. The seller stored it in a Mylar bag but removed it before shipping so that it would fit in a flat rate box. My question is how to store it. Should I divide it up in 1-2 oz packeages and only open what I want? Or store it bulk and open it in order to pull 1-2 oz out at a time? The second question is rather I should use ball jars, vacumesealed bag (I have the machine), or ziplock bag?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I got a pound of Bold Kentucky a couple of years ago. I split it up into 2 and 4 oz portions in jars.

I don’t smoke this blend often enough to keep it in larger jars. Less concern with having large amounts of it drying out by repeatedly opening a larger jar many times.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I suggest smaller portions as well. I usually divide a pound into 8 mylar bags with roughly 2oz in each. This way I can easily open and enjoy one and let the rest continue to marinate. Another added advantage to this is spoilage control. If you pack it all together and get mold you've lost a pound. Pack it in smaller units and you control that type of loss significantly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd use a large jar that holds the whole thing. But I would smoke through it quickly. That family of blends is weird. I don't smoke them a lot but when I do it's about all I smoke. A tin lasted me less then a week. And I don't really smoke even every day.

Reactions: renfield