PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Ahhh. I don't have enough experience to know how long they should ultimately last but I would imagine it would be many months at least. I have a couple that have been opened for a couple months without issue. I did have a tin of Plum Pudding Special Reserve that had a few bowls-full already rubbed out that dried considerably after just a few weeks, but those tins with the plastic lids don't seal well. The metal round tins shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, I don’t really like C&D’s packaging. I just bought a cardboard ‘tin’ of their Steamworks and I’m thinking I may just thrown that in a jar.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Yeah, I don’t really like C&D’s packaging. I just bought a cardboard ‘tin’ of their Steamworks and I’m thinking I may just thrown that in a jar.
I immediately jar those on opening now. In my experience the rectangular tins like Mac Baren uses for Old Dark Fired also don't seem to seal as well as the round metal tins. Tobacco will stay moist longer than the C&D packaging, but I just don't risk it. My $0.02 anyway.

Pipeh

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I was referring to an opened tin. I currently have about 7 opened tins that I’m assuming I’ll completely smoke within a year of purchase. Maybe not one of them? I was assuming I’m good for at least a year on those. Perhaps not?
If you don't notice any change, they you are probably fine. But for me, I noticed that my tobacco became too dry within a few weeks after opening a tin, and I didn't enjoy it as much, so now I immediately move it to a mason jar.

That experience is also why I don't heed the oft-suggested advice of, "dry it more than you think you should."

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Ive always used 4 ounce jars.
Open a few while the others stay good and get some age.
My wife already had most of a set of unused 8 oz jars when I got started, and they held a 2 oz tin very nicely, so that's what I stuck with as my main storage method. I augment those with the pricey but very nice Pocket Jar's Max for daily use (refilling from the 8 oz jars as needed).

Had I had it to do over again, I think using the 4 oz jars to smoke out of and using mylar bags for bulk storage might have been a more space and cost-effective option. But I'm happy enough with the current system.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I use 4 ounce jars, even when I have pounds.
This way you can have a few blends open while the rest stays safe and aging.
I get about 15-20 bowls from a 4 ounce jar, so I can have several open and it doesn't matter how long it takes to smoke them.
I usually have 5-6 blends open, which takes about 3 months to smoke.
Every 3 months I get a complete new rotation.
This also keeps the blends from getting boring.
Unfortunately when I started piping I used much larger jars.
Now I have pounds of "out of production" blends broken into jars holding half a pound of tobacco. I have a LOT of McClellands stored this way from 2005-2010. When I do open them I put them in 4 ounce jars and carry on.
👆.

If you have room for the jars, the smaller ones are best

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was referring to an opened tin. I currently have about 7 opened tins that I’m assuming I’ll completely smoke within a year of purchase. Maybe not one of them? I was assuming I’m good for at least a year on those. Perhaps not?
In my experience, any tin opened (G&H, C&D, MacBaren square, any metal round, etc.) will dry significantly within a few weeks. 2-3 months would be the absolute max I would personally get out of any of them before the leaf is more dry than I like. I would never get a year out of them and they'd need to be in a jar from my experience.

$.02

Reactions: Manawydan

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
In my experience, any tin opened (G&H, C&D, MacBaren square, any metal round, etc.) will dry significantly within a few weeks. 2-3 months would be the absolute max I would personally get out of any of them before the leaf is more dry than I like. I would never get a year out of them and they'd need to be in a jar from my experience.

$.02
I yeah, I bought that MacBaren 5 year batch. The HH Burley Flake (square tin) was dry as a bone when I popped the tin. They should just do away with those square tins - pretty worthless. That immediately went into a jar, but I'm going to need to hydrate it at some point.

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD