PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I love charcuterie. Salami, prosciutto, honey and smoked ham, and summer sausage.

My favorite is at a small butcher shop in Saginaw called Ted's Meat. The summer sausage and beer sticks (think salami beef sticks) are excellent. However, I live about 90 minutes away and Ted's doesn't ship.

Most store bought summer sausage is too greasy and bland. Kowalski has decent Hunter Sticks (like beef sticks or thick Slim Jim's for non-Michiganders), but they just don't hit the same.

What's your favorite store bought summer sausage or beef stick? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: Elric

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Since I worked in a butcher shop growing up I make my own summer sausage which I then smoke to cure. Make a variety of other sausages, stuffed and bulk, as well. Now that it's fall, time to fire up the smoker and lay in next years supply of spare ribs, brisket, pork butt and smoked salmon.

Jan 27, 2020
I loved summer sausage growing up. It use to be easy to find decent ones in NJ but not much anymore. How closely related is it to Weisswurst? Weisswurst I know has a casing which should be peeled away before eating and the sausage almost has the texture of a firm mousse. If you ever have a morning layover in the Munich airport a weisswurst and a short beer is a typical and delicious breakfast.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I loved summer sausage growing up. It use to be easy to find decent ones in NJ but not much anymore. How closely related is it to Weisswurst? Weisswurst I know has a casing which should be peeled away before eating and the sausage almost has the texture of a firm mousse. If you ever have a morning layover in the Munich airport a weisswurst and a short beer is a typical and delicious breakfast.
Summer sausage is processed. Weisswurst is more like bratwurst (but lighter flavor if I recall) and needs to be cooked.

Favorite bratwurst recipe with porter onions:

Brown in oil then fill pan Half way with water and simmer until water evaporates. Remove meat and lightly caramelize sweet onions in butter and a sprinkle of sugar. Add porter beer (Founder's is great) and reduce to glaze or jam like consistency. Place meat in steamed or toasted bun, top with porter onions, stuff face and repeat.

Reactions: Puff nstuff
Jan 27, 2020
Summer sausage is processed. Weisswurst is more like bratwurst (but lighter flavor if I recall) and needs to be cooked.

Favorite bratwurst recipe with porter onions:

Brown in oil then fill pan Half way with water and simmer until water evaporates. Remove meat and lightly caramelize sweet onions in butter and a sprinkle of sugar. Add porter beer (Founder's is great) and reduce to glaze or jam like consistency. Place meat in steamed or toasted bun, top with porter onions, stuff face and repeat.

Thanks but a good weisswurt just needs some mustard.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant