PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Hey I got an order of 10 different blends in the bulk form so they can in a bag and also 6 tins. I assume the tins will be fine but I don't have any Masson jars. How long can I keep them in the bags until I do get mason jars. Also by biggest bag is 4oz what size mason jars should I get for these blends?

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
It's a matter of debate how long you can keep them in bags and depends a lot on your humidity. They will start losing something, but the big concern is drying out. I'd think you safely have a week or two, and even after that they'll still be smokeable and it's easy to rehydrate if they get a little dry. I usually fit 2 oz of ribbon in a 1/2 pint widemouth mason jar, and can usually cram 4 oz of flake in the same size jar.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I would get the tobacco into jars as fast as I could, but they should be okay for a week to ten days, maybe two weeks if it is humid or an aromatic. If it is 4oz of ribbon then a full size pint jar is more than enough, or two half pint. You can have one to smoke and one to cellar!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You can double/triple bag them in the meantime- with thicker plastic bags, I've not lost any appreciable moisture for months on end.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Yah I got a lot of aeros. Lane limited had a deal on pipesandcigars.com for 5 2oz bags for 20 bucks and because I'm new to smoking I didn't want to order a ton with one blend I wanted a sample of a lot of different blends. I assume that the 2 tins of frog Morton cellar, Boston 1776 and the 2 tins of black house will be fine I just don't want the other 10 blends or so to dry out. Also as far as mason jars go does it matter about the lid. Will the normal twist lids work? Or should I get a better flip top style with the metal lock. I'm sure those would have a better seal. But are prob a little more pricy

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Cooler. I have tobacco sit for long times in bags and not lose much moisture. Now what the plastic does for flavor :(

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Haha, what Cosmic said. But seriously, mason jars are cheap and reusable, can't go wrong with them. All of my open tins and bulk go strait to a wide mouth mason jar. Get the ones with the 2 piece lid.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have miscellaneous tobacco stored in bags that have lasted at least 6 months without loosing any noticeable amount of moisture. Some of those aromatics can't be dried out even if you try. You'll be fine, just don't go trying to age them in a baggie.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I prefer smaller 4 oz jars. I may have to use 2 or 3 of them but I can open one of those and smoke it while the others continue to age, and ideally improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.