PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dobbs

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
Hello all,

I'm new here, and fairly new to pipe smoking, but not new at all to cigar smoking and storage. That said, pipe tobacco storage norms seem to be very different and I'm trying to navigate my way to a successful collection.

As you probably already know, "proper" cigar storage is as varied as anything, but managing a consistent relative humidity level and not creating an airtight environment are base-level practices. My understanding with pipe tobacco is that it is best stored air-tight without humidity-management devices.

Now I just got a box of the Tabac Manil Bouchons de Semois, and I am at a loss as to how to store these long(ish) term. I don't plan to keep them around for 5+ years, but I also don't think I'll smoke them within the month. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has stored them successfully for 1+ years, specifically through seasonal temp and humidity fluctuation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-dobbs

The forum has a set of Best Practices for pipe tobacco, but it by no means the only way to store pipe tobacco. Since Semois would not benefit from aging nor fermentation, in all of its forms it comes in a non-airtight wrapper... I would assume that it would keep in any manner you wish to store it. If it is anything like the other Semois products it should be rather dry to start with. So... however you wanna store it.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’m wondering too, since my first ever box arrived last week. It is a box of maybe ten. But what am wondering is the box hermetically sealed? Or do I need to put the whole box in my humidor now? I would prefer if I could leave it unopened on the shelf and then transfer them later after smoking the first buchon.

I speculate that since it’s not plastic sealed I should probably humidor them up? Although the room they would be sitting on the shelf in is always 70F +/-5, and 50-65%RH.A87DAE08-4F29-4B34-AAA2-8DD0971355D4.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: canucklehead

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
If you have a humidor you may as well put them in it. I personally don't have a humidor and put my cigars in a big jar with a couple little Boveda packs, I would do the same with those.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I ended up putting them in a small cooler that’s holding a few lbs. of coffee beans. It’s got a good seal. I threw in a 69% pack, though I’d have prefered a 65 or 62 for this particular contents.

Reactions: dobbs and vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I got a box of the cigarillos last week and I have bricks of all the cuts but green for the pipe tobacco.
My cigarillos came in a plastic bag with a wet pillow type humidifier.
From my experience Semois smokes best dry and tends to prefer it, after leaving the box in the plastic bag with the humidifier for 3 days it was too moist and I could not get a good draw or flavor.
I removed it and they smoked well a couple of days later as said above I dont know how well these being mostly burely would age , I'd say smokem if you got em and store in a dry place rehydrate as necessary.

Reactions: Egg Shen and dobbs

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
With the semois you may want to be careful not to get it overly humidified. It’s a very minimally processed tobacco and as such probably doesn’t have much or even any anti-fungal agents applied.

I recall a member several years ago who was surprised at how dry his semois was when it arrived. He re-hydrated it, apparently too much, and it molded on him.

I have my semois in a mason jar. It’s as dry as when I got it and no problems over several years.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I leave mine out and have had some just out for almost a year and it was fine. The stuff is dry and meant to stay dry. Those things bucshauns or whatever they're called are basically cheroots and do you think cowboys put their smokes in jars or humidors? Nah. No special storage needed or suggested. Basically it's like a mogwi don't feed it after midnight and don't get it wet.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
On a similar note how they do compared to the cut semois? I like very much the semois but I heard they are not that much different. In other words are they different enough to compel purchasing them other that for their unique format (which could be by itself a reason for trying them)?

Reactions: renfield

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
On a similar note how they do compared to the cut semois? I like very much the semois but I heard they are not that much different. In other words are they different enough to compel purchasing them other that for their unique format (which could be by itself a reason for trying them)?
I’ve been told that it is very similar. SP has 5 different semois cigars on offer. I have never had them but their description says that the semois is paired with a distinctive wrapper. It does not say what any of these wrappers are which I would like to know. But they are affordable smokes and potentially more complex than the buchon. I’d go the cigar route next time. In fact I still might buy some cigars because I like the price. These buchons by comparison are a bad value.