Stop a 775% Tax Increase on Pipe Tobacco!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
ghost45 - Ahh my Favorite Tobacco store has Joined the fight you can sign a second Petition now if you like.

McCranies
They are linking to our petition. It's the same one.
I am glad as I do not know why we need a bunch of others like I have seen, which are quite amateurish, and do not email the representatives. They just collect a bunch of names on a web page which does nothing.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I have sent about five e-mails to my Tennessee reps, no response. I find it ironic that tobacco along with cotton built the south and these two "men" from Tennessee are the ones who wrote this. Goes to show what the bright people from Memphis, TN will elect into office,It makes me feel bad for living here. Hopefully this will be shot down and we all can continue to enjoy are favorite tobaccos in are favorite pipes. For now enjoy your smoke.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
ghost45, thats the exact same respones I got from Hagan, I don't know which is worse that generic blow off or the silence from the other reps

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You have to track the SOBS down or you get a link to thier propaganda letter .You have to go to meetings of local party affillation of your choice .

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
What day do they vote on this bill and what day would it take a effect if it passes?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's a good article on this written by a college professor.
It starts, "I am a college professor. My job description therefore requires that, among other things, I wear a tweed sport coat with leather elbow patches, grow a beard, spend two days a week in the classroom, and smoke a pipe.
That last essential trait is now under attack..."
http://www.htrnews.com/article/20100205/MAN06/2050507

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you want to track the progress of this bill, there is a nice little service.
One of our members emailed me asking how to do so, and I thought I should just let everyone know:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4439
People I have talked to say they do not think the bill will make it out of committee.
Let's hope they are right.
As of this writing 5,739 People Have Sent 12,385 Letters and Emails.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for the Update Kevin

People I have talked to say they do not think the bill will make it out of committee.
That is very good news if it is true.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I finally got a response, from on of my state senators. He is a Republican and sounds willing to oppose this if it makes it out of committee. I have attached a copy of his response.
Dear Mr. Henson,
Thank you for contacting my office about opposing H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. Your input is important to me and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.
I understand your concern that such a proposal would result in a dramatic cost increase for products that many Americans enjoy every day and could potentially negatively affect small businesses who sell tobacco products. The Tobacco Tax Parity Act is currently in the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should the bill be introduced into the Senate, the insights you have provided will certainly help my staff and me as we look into the issue.
Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.
Sincerely,
Bob Corker

United States Senator

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
I have received generic letters from Russ Feingold, Steve Kagen and Herb Kohl (Wisconsin Senators) when sending a question regarding the proposed new tax increase on pipe tobacco. But at least it’s worth trying got get your voice heard. I have also ranted about recent developments in my blogs this month. For shameless self-promotion I have include the links below. I apologize for blog length but hey, that’s just what I do.
http://pipesmagazine.com/thecigarsoldier/pipe-news/hello-world/

http://www.cigarnightonline.com/2010/02/more-fn-taxes/

http://pipesmagazine.com/thecigarsoldier/pipe-news/ets-ths-and-tsnas/

http://www.cigarnightonline.com/2010/02/ets-ths-tsnas/

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Even though I have not received a response, I am glad that I sent the letters. I will continue sending letters regards anti tobacco legislation and any others bills etc. that I disagree with. Even if they don't respond, at least I know that I let them know how I feel and where I stand on the subject.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Can anyone give me any kind of an idea about what kind of impact this will make on retail/e-tail prices? I know that the whole outcome is nebulous, and subject to both underestimation and extension, but as a new smoker without any kind of collection I feel compelled to begin stockpiling.
Say a tin sells for 8.50 today. Will it be $15 dollars after the tax increase?
My biggest concern is that, even though I've been trying to learn what I like, I'm so new that I know my tastes will develop. I dont want to stockpile stuff I dont want, but I also dont want to be in the discovery phase during the highest increase in retail price and disruption to distribution.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Who knows where prices are going? But with regard to stockpiling, someone whose tastes are still evolving has a bit of a problem hedging against the future.
One strategy would be to go to TobaccoReviews.com's search page and search for 4-star blends that have a lot of reviews. Then at least, you know that a consensus exists, and that a lot of people found a particular blend worthwhile. Read the descriptions and sort them out into broad categories like: Aromatic, English, Scottish, Balkan, American, etc.; then buy-up representative tins.
Another strategy would employ the same searching, but sort them out into tobacco varieties like: Virginia types, Burleys, Vapers, Orientals, Latakia-laced, Perique-laced, aromatics, or top-dressed. Again, try to buy representative blends.
Most brands try to cover everybody's tastes, so you can buy "one-of-each" of the offerings from Cornell & Diehl, GLPease, Hearth & Home, Two Friends, McClelland, Stokkebye, Rattray's (and dozens more!) -- but you're looking at a huge investment of capital. Fortunately tinned and jarred tobacco will stay viable for decades; and a $1000 cellar today would be worth $7000 in the purported future.
Chances are if you diversify, your evolving sense of taste will, with time, lead you through all the varieties you have purchased; and sooner or later your taste buds will "come around." Also note that the elusive "perfect-for-me" blend doesn't exist for very long anyway. Like women, no matter how sexy and hot, you'll always hanker for a little "strange", IYKWIM
Well, that's my 2¢ worth. I'm eager to hear how others would deal with the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.