Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
First I'll say that I give this 5/5 stars for my personal taste and 5/5 for an as advertised, flavored VA/Per/Bur.
a few years ago, I became aware of this (then) not available blend and was bummed I would not get to try this product of collaboration between two of my favorite blenders. When SF was re-released, I was excited as could be. My mistake was reading reviews. People talked about "That Lakeland flavor," some with love, some with hate. I was happy since I enjoy that flavor. I bought a few tins and quickly opened one, dried it a bit, and packed it into one of my Rum Flake pipes. I smoked it many different ways through 4 bowls in 4 different pipes -the final one being my meer- trying to tease out some of the floral notes. Nothing. I was thoroughly disappointed. I kept smoking it, resigned to the fact that there was no floral note (that I could detect), but enjoying the VA flavors and Perique fruitiness more and more. I also couldn't get over how well the cocoa was done, very rich but not overpowering and probably enhanced by the burleys. Yum! I enjoy this blend very much and will continue buying and smoking the heck out of it.

Thanks Greg

Thanks John

Reactions: Mtlpiper

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I am smoking it now and can detect no Lakeland scent. Though, my regular smokes are Ennerdale Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, and Bosun Cut Plug so my tongue might be dulled to it.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I usually don't leave tobacco in the tin once I open it, but for some reason I experimented with a tin of Stonehenge. I smoked nearly the whole tin without jarring it. The thing I noticed, was that the longer it sat in the tin the stronger the lakeland became. I still taste all the other flavours in there, but in the last few smokes the lakeland has been front and center.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
my regular smokes are Ennerdale Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, and Bosun Cut Plug so my tongue might be dulled to it.

I also like Ennerdale and occasionally smoke Bosun when the mood strikes so that may explain why I don't notice it as much
The thing I noticed, was that the longer it sat in the tin the stronger the lakeland became.

I'll try that with the next tin I open. Thanks for the tip!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a tin of SF and find the 'Lakeland essence' to be barely perceptible. It is there but (thankfully) well hidden.
"The thing I noticed, was that the longer it sat in the tin the stronger the lakeland became."
Well that's the first I ever heard of Lakeland essence getting stronger over time! Usually the opposite applies.
Regards,
Jay.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I thought it would dissipate. I don’t mind the flavour at all, but maybe it’s because I’m aware of it that I can’t help but notice it.

Cheers

I’m not sure what to think. The buzz for this one never dragged me in, so I ended up buying more of the other new stuff going on at the time. It was literally in my shopping cart, as I saw this. I’m not sure what to think. I don’t mind a little Lakeland in some of the darker deeper, steroid laden leafs of Macedonia and such. I’ve never taken to the more floral lighter varieties of Kendal’s. I’m curious, but not “may have to dump it in the rose garden compost bin” curious. Do I trust the Dark Lord on this one?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I too was dragged into buying this after reading so much about its pending arrival but what disappointed me most about the blend was the addition of cocoa...if you're going to make a VaPer style blend then do so but leave out the cocoa.
I understand some folks love that aspect of it but to me it spoils it. Why bloody cocoa for goodness sake?
Regards,
Jay.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I like Stonehenge's taste and room note and tin note. :mrgreen: I just don't get back to it often enough because I'm a Black Frigate junky, among a few other things.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I had another bowl this morning and noticed the cocoa has diminished somewhat over the short time I've had the blend which for me is a good thing...now to try and find the Perique that is supposed to be in there :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Is it true that Stonehenge Flake is just repackaged GH Louisiana Perique Flake?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The ability to taste different flavors varies from person to person. For me, the Lakeland, Perique, burley, Virginia, and cocoa flavors are all distinct, present, and accounted for. But there are other blends where I don't pick up the notes that others say they're experiencing. Not everyone has a palate of equal breath or sensitivity.
So if you really don't like this stuff feel free to send it to me. Really. I won't mind.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Are you sure I mean the TR sure make it sound like that's the case. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1739/g-l-pease-stonehenge-flake
I cant imagine this being sold as a GLP blend thought to be honest but description sounds the same

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are you sure I mean the TR sure make it sound like that's the case.
Yes, I'm sure. I have that from the horse's mouth. Which horse I will not say. Besides, they don't taste the same. There are a handful of people on TR who's knowledge I've cone to respect. The rest range from harmless to positively witless. One of the best reviewers is here on this forum, JimInks. Ask him.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Is it true that Stonehenge Flake is just repackaged GH Louisiana Perique Flake?"
Nope, they look, feel and more importantly taste very different.
"to be honest but description sounds the same"
Stonehenge Flake: Contents Burley, Perique, Virginia
Louisiana Flake: Contents Perique, Virginia
So how is that the same description?
Besides, I thought you were the forum expert on all things Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth :rofl:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Lakeland smoker, but I have to ask, is everyone designating pipes so as not to ghost pipes used for other blends? Lakeland aros are the only blends I'd worry about. Lat and aro's don't ghost enough to matter to me, or might even impart an extra tincture to some other blends. But I don't think I'd like the floral soapiness tinging most other blends. Assume designating a Lakelands aro pipe is pro forma?

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Besides, I thought you were the forum expert on all things Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth
did you read any of the comments about the blends being identical on tobaccoreviews?
is everyone designating pipes

in my experience ghosting is a myth. I wouldn't smoke ennerdale before I smoke st james flake in the same pipe. I find mostly that latakia blends ghost by dulling the flavor. Obviously guys who smoked Erinmore everyday for 50 years those pipes are ghosted
Louisiana Perique Flake is ok but I don't find chocolate to be a good topping for Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.