Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Yes yet another post on Stonehaven. Had a few questions that I didn't' see doing a search so I thought I'd try a new one. I did a cigars for pipe tobacco trade with a long time pipe smoker who was getting into cigars (the opposite from me so it worked out great) at my B&M. Among the samples was this deep raisiny, dried apricoty, slightly leathery tobacco which was marked Stonehaven. Decided I had to try it just for the aroma alone. Rubbed it out and let it sit for a couple of hours as my buddy told me and smoked it. I found it to be a very nice smoke which actually tasted somewhat like the aroma (which hasn't really been the case for the most part for me so far). I asked him where I could get some and he tells me its like Opus x and not around right now.
Now for those of you who don't' know of Opus X, its basically a limited production cigar from a larger company A. Fuente. They release it 3-4 times a year and the retailers know they're getting some if they are, but never know how many, what sizes and when exactly they're coming in. I've always thought it was just the company, creating a demand and thus being able to sell the smoke for a premium. Don't' get me wrong, its one of the best and the tobacco is not as common as their regular lines, but I believe they can release it more regularly than they have been. I"ve always been lucky as to have a good relationship with a few B&Ms so that when they came in, I'd get a call.
Coming back to the Stonehaven, is it released in any sort of regular manner? I've checked and none of my B&M's locally even carry the Esoterica brand so looks like I'm going to have to go mail order. If its that hard to find, is there a similar substitute? Very intrigued that they have something similar to the cigar industry. G1

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Just keep checking the online sites. It, and the other worldly Penzance, is always in short supply, but it does come around from time to time.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Stonehaven has been harder to come by than Penzance for the past several months. When it does show up, most retailers sell out in a few hours. It'll come one day, so keep checking and keep the credit card handy.
As for suggesting a substitute, I haven't found anything remotely similar. :crying:
I treat my stash as a special occasion/dessert smoke.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
If you have a pal in the UK, Germains Rich Dark Flake could be sent to you. Same same.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have long since given up on these here again gone again tobaccos. If they happen to be in when I order then woo hoo, but I'm not searching like a mad man for them anymore. Stonehaven is one Esoterica, however, that I have always wanted to try. My local B&M sells Germains so I will have to seek out the aforementioned Rich Dark Flake. thanks for the tip jpberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.