PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I ordered a tin of University Flake because Eddie Gray and another reviewer compared it to Stonehaven. On opening the tin, the stewed fruits and plum did indeed remind me of Stonehaven, although it was less intense. The Stonehaven tin note alone makes the purchase worthwhile.
I don't consider myself a nic-lightweight but I did feel the ill effects of smoking UF on an empty stomach. I had to put the two-thirds smoked bowl down and eat something. Still, I had to wait about 45 minutes before feeling up to finishing the bowl.
UF is a very satisfying, tasty smoke that combines sweetness with the nutty burley foreground. I don't have any Stonehaven left to compare back-to-back but I will admit that I am satisfied that UF is a good alternative to Stonehaven. It isn't equivalent but they could be called first cousins.
If you like Stonehaven, what other tobaccos do you consider a good alternative?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmmm, I really don't find any similarities between the two. I would say they are are night (Stonehaven) and day (University Flake). However, I do like both but would reach for Stonehaven over UF almost every time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
University Flake used to be part of my rotation for the first 5 years. As said the tin note is delectable. Need to order some.
I scored a bag of Stonehaven in '13 but still have ~3 oz as I don't smoke it often. I'll be damned before I chase it around the block to keep up a supply, and I will never pay $100.00+ that I see demanded for it. Definitely not worth it, though I grant that it is an awesome tobacco.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love the leaf in UF, but the flavoring I encountered was too fruity for me, so I switched to Captain Black Grape.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I love the leaf in UF, but the flavoring I encountered was too fruity for me, so I switched to Captain Black Grape.
:)
Ah, DM, now I understand why you sometimes smoke the living room drapes while listening to Wagner!
OP - UF is not like SH to my palate. But Solani's Silver Flake fits the VA-Kentucky flavour profile albeit without the treacle. RDF by Germain, as Sablebrush wrote, fits the profile, too. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.