PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I read about these two everywhere on this forum and every time i go to purchase some the stonehaven is gone. can someone explain how this tastes i know most of you are literal geniuses when it comes to describing experiences, just want to know if its worth my time and money to try and track these down.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
just want to know if its worth my time and money to try and track these down.
Nope.
I have had Penzance, when I tried it I found out I was not a latakia lover. So I jarred the 8oz bag I have in the hope I will enjoy it latter. But, I feel that there are so many blends on the market I think you should find something you really like that is available and probably cheaper and stock up on it while you can. At some point what you do know you like right now will either stop being made or become as popular as Penzance. Either way you wont always be able to get it.
Not to say either blend is not good, but don't feel hardly anything is worth fighting the masses over. Especially with all the price gouging that is going on with these particular blends. To me, just not worth the effort.
If you really want to try them though, put in the time and call around to a bunch of little B&Ms and you will find some and with some sweet talking you will probably be able to have them ship it to you.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
Stonehaven is really one of my treasures. I have about 10lbs of the stuff tucked away and its all been cellered at different times so I have a spread of different ages to enjoy it with.
At first taste I find hints of earth, licorice, and liquor. Its a very wet flake and needs time to dry when you smoke it. The flavors really open up when it dries and as it ages too. My oldest is only about a year and it just keeps getting better in my opinion.
Now is it a Godsend in the world of pipe tobacco? I would say no. It is a fantastic blend that has gotten its status by people raving about it and hoarding it. Everyone hears about it and havent had it yet scour the net and local B&M trying to find it and buy it all when they do. This is why its hard to find.
As with Pezance...... I havent had the chance to try it yet.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's hard to find because the people that make it won't amp up production.
*le sigh* I'm not going to put in the extra effort in something uncertain.
Call me Party Pooper.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
If you really want a good chance of finding it, Go to every place that sells tobacco in your area. Forget the pipe shops. Go to cigarette stores. You need to ask around and find out which ones use arango as their suppliers. Estotirica ships through these people. Ask them to order some. Thats how I scored mine. From a sketchy roll your own shop with the fake weed crap and nasty cigarette blends.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I bought about 8oz of Stonehaven from Dervis on Briarbid last month. It wasn't up his alley, but I enjoyed it. I prefer heavier flavours in my tobacco and found Stonehaven milder than the Lat and Oriental heavy blends I have been smoking. It had a light earthy note on the front end, but was overall a mild and smooth smoke to my taste buds.
I brought the Stonehaven to our last Pipe Club meeting and passed it around for everyone to load a bowl if they chose. It received a few nods, and "it's good"s, from folks, but there was no-one threatening my life if I didn't hand over the entire jar.
Smokybear, if you can ever make it down to one of our club nights in Oshawa, toss me a PM first. I'll pull the jar off the shelf and you can taste it for yourself.
-- Pat

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I think it's an ok smoke. As I've described it here before, it smells like steam rolled oats (horse feed). It's pretty moist and requires some drying before you smoke it or it won't stay lit. For me it was a shrug of the shoulders kind of baccy...not bad, but nothing spectacular either.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I can't help you with Stonehaven but with Penzance, it tastes very similar to Blackhouse, just see if you like that tobacco and if you love it, you may want to check out Penzance. Penzance seems to be a little more flavorful, complex, and has less tongue-bite. As Penzance is now my #2 smoke (right after FVF) I plan to always keep a little on stock. What I do is when I see Penzance posts popping up, I check all the online retailers I know, and one of them always has it or is about to get it. It seems to come in waves across all the pipe shops and sells out quickly. Since 8oz of it is a year's supply for me, it's very worth it to hunt down, it's easy to find one 8oz bag a year.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I smoked English blends, Penzance was one of my favorites, it has a unique flavor and some nice sweetness for an English. Back then it was not an issue getting it, everyone carried it and it was readily available. Back then I also tried Stonehaven but did not care for it. I don't believe I gave it a fair shot, and probably smoked it in too large a pipe.
Fast forward to a few months ago, I received a sample of Stonehaven, cube cut it,dried it properly and smoked it in one of my group 5 flake pipes. I fell in love with it and then began the hunt. I now have 11 plus pounds in the cellar and will probably add another 3 or so. It is in my top 3 Vaburs along with Solani Silver Flake and Mac Baren ODF. It is a very high quality tobacco that has a unique taste, either you like it or you don't. Now for me, making phone calls to track it down is not a big deal. I honestly like the chase because when I do score, I am like a kid on Christmas. If I still enjoyed Penzance, I would chase that one down as well. I have found many hard to find blends buy calling small mom and pop tobacconists in the low tax states, people like this with little to no web presence are grateful when I call up and order 5 pounds at a wack. If making calls and tracking hard to finds down is not your thing then there are plenty of other great blends out there.
I think that if you find a blend that you love, it is worth going after. Yes it can be a pain but I would rather do a little work than be without a favorite. Now if you have never tried Penzance or Stonehaven and you are not willing to do what is necessary to get them, then I would recommend not trying them in the first place. Why fall in love with something and then get yourself aggravated because it is a hard to find blend.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have a pound of each. I think Penzance is the best thing since sliced bread. I've yet to find an English or Balkan style that's better although Magnum Opus is damn close.
As for Stonehaven I think it's good but so far I prefer Dunbar as it's a good bit sweeter. Then again I just started with Stonehaven last week. I'll let you know in a few months which I prefer.
If you want to buy Penzance. I suggest you give Ed a call. He always seems to have bags. 866-747-3747

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
ill try to get some or something similar on my next TAD purchase, Its only because i live in Canada im limited to the amount i can buy from one tobacconist so i would grab 8oz's from pipesandcigars 8oz from 4noggins 8oz from cupofjoes and so on to prevent customs from killing me with charges or taking the package all together. this method of purchase can also get very costly with shipping charges. so now you know how precious the space in these packages are, if i get something i dislike i would have paid for it dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.