PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'd bet if you put 100 pipe smokers together, the percentage of honest vs dishonest would be no different than in society as a whole.
Among those who attend shows I say absolutely not. This is still extremely rare. I also know of reports like this turning into a misunderstanding. Someone packs up their pipes, gets home and finds a pipe that doesn't belong to them, or the guy missing it finds it got stuffed into a different bag when he packed up.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You're probably right, Warren, and that's truly sad. I'd like to think the percentage might bump up when the polling takes place amongst active forum members. (But, then again, maybe not.)
There's a bit of larceny in all of us, I'm afraid.
Mencken wrote, “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
Skaukatt, thank you for bringing Dennis' problem to our attention.
Fnord

Jan 8, 2013
It is instances like this, that from time to time, remind us pipe smokers that we are indeed all human with human faults. That does not excuse this vile deed however. We like to think of ourselves as a brotherhood, and indeed I believe this is so. And if this is indeed theft, then the man who committed, knowing full well our brotherly and trusting nature, used our nature against us and to his advantage making the theft even more vile.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All's well that ends well. I just saw an update posted on the NYC club Facebook page. From Dennis:
Dennis' Charatan - All's Well That Ends Well Thank Goodness!!!
From Dennis:
My dear friends,
Well, this is a first and I am a bit embarrassed about raising an alarm now, but I did not know the following. This is the strangest things to ever happen to me with pipes.
I received a box in the mail today with a POB return address. I opened it and to my utter astonishment, there was the pipe that I thought was stolen. There was a note that said that this person had picked up the pipe to further examine it and to show it to a friend. He got into some conversations and laid the pipe on his table and then forgot about it. He discovered it when he packed up but saw that I had already left the show. He said that he was too embarrassed to tell anyone but his friend so on Monday, 3/14 he packed up the pipe and mailed it to me. I just received it today, Thursday, 3/17. He said in an enclosed note that he wants to remain anonymous to “forgo humiliation and ridicule from others for being an idiot”, his words. I was in such a hurry to catch my plane that I scooped up my pipes and descriptor cards and did not notice the pipe was missing until I got home. You can imagine how stupid I feel about not being fore careful when I pack up my pipes.
I apologize for the inconvenience I put my dear pipe smoking friends to on this matter but if the pipe was truly stolen, I wanted to make it risky for anyone to dispose of the pipe. I want to thank my pipe friends for any effort exerted in my behalf. I have been touched by the support I received from my fellow briar friars. They are a cadre of truly honorable men and women.
Dennis
Thankfully, in the few instances that this has occurred, it's been a similar outcome.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am very glad to read this. The thread was depressing until now, but, eucatastrophe! Excellent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa, that sounds like a serious senior moment. Good to hear it wasn't kleptomania but severe absentmindedness. At least the ethics of pipe shows is to some degree vindicated.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo sca
The umpteen pipe shows I've been to in Newark, KW, Richmond, Vegas and Chicago have all exhibited a huge amount of trust and goodwill. Yes, it is 'normal' to show off someone else's pipe to pals, but I think it's bad manners. In fact, I prefer to ask permission to even touch someone's pipe, and if I want to see the innards, it is good practice to have the owner pull the stem off even if you are given permission. Since the accidental borrowerer of the Charatan was a fellow exhibitor with a table, it's highly likely that what he said happened was in fact 100% true.
hp

les

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
A bit of side drama at this fine show: one of the club members tagged a guy who was browsing through the tables as a thief at another show. As the word was spread through the exhibitors, it was amusing to see the thief spotters tracking him as he browsed. I will keep an eye out for this guy at other shows and maybe try to get a pic so we can validate what might be happening. On the one hand, I hate thieves, but at the same time I would hate to mistakenly denounce an innocent.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.