PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I've been smoking Stokkebye's Nougat for a few weeks now, and uuuuugh it's frustrating.

When I get a perfect puff, it's delicious. It's like a good quality tobacco cased in a 3 Musketeers bar. There's a creamy, velvety, nougat taste that just makes the entire session memorable.

However, it's such a hard pocket to find! Sip ever so slightly too low, and I get hot air. Just a touch over the line or a slight wind breeze or an uneven ember, and the heat obliterates the topping. And on top of that, the sweet spot seems to be right at the point of the ember going out, and re-light puffs are completely wasted on this blend.

I keep coming back to it. It's like that one beautiful shot that drags me back to the golf course. It's good, but the experience is such that I don't know if I'll re-up once I cash this jar.

Did y'all have a similar experience? How do you like Nougat?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It's been years since I regularly smoked aromatics, but I've been wanting to try this one for awhile. I hadn't gotten around to it yet, and from your review I may put it lower on my list of priorities.

Your mention of the 3 Muskateers bar reminded me of an aromatic I used to smoke, way back when:
Boswell's No Bite DeLite.

It tastes like a 3 Muskateers bar married a Tootsie Roll and had a baby, and IIRC it was very forgiving during my inexperienced days. Maybe check it out.

Reactions: Peterson314

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I mostly smoke English, but I am revisiting a lot of Aros now that I have a lot more experience and know how to get the flavor out of them. Overall, I am enjoying the experience of revisiting blends that I scorched in my earliest pipe days.

I got the newest LOTR editions with Tolkien's original sketches, so I picked this up alongside an order from The Country Squire to accompany me on my trip through Middle Earth. I only liked two of the TSC blends when I got them, but they're growing on me after a couple of months in the jar.

For Chocolate, I also like Bob's Chocolate. I haven't picked up an order from Boswell's yet, so maybe when I get through this and Bob's, I'll move an order from Boswell's to the top of the list.

Reactions: SBC and BarrelProof

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Funny you mention this tobacco.
Let it dry some more. I bought some a month back, let it sit in the Ziploc bag and started smoking it yesterday when it felt much less moist.
I really like it, it's a very nice aro and it has some Lady N as well.
A different kind of aro to me for sure. I think I will buy some again.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I've been smoking Stokkebye's Nougat for a few weeks now, and uuuuugh it's frustrating.

When I get a perfect puff, it's delicious. It's like a good quality tobacco cased in a 3 Musketeers bar. There's a creamy, velvety, nougat taste that just makes the entire session memorable.

However, it's such a hard pocket to find! Sip ever so slightly too low, and I get hot air. Just a touch over the line or a slight wind breeze or an uneven ember, and the heat obliterates the topping. And on top of that, the sweet spot seems to be right at the point of the ember going out, and re-light puffs are completely wasted on this blend.

I keep coming back to it. It's like that one beautiful shot that drags me back to the golf course. It's good, but the experience is such that I don't know if I'll re-up once I cash this jar.

Did y'all have a similar experience? How do you like Nougat?

Its mild for sure, if you want a really nice nougat smoke G&H Kentucky Nougat is where its at.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012

…..

How do you like Nougat?
Nougat was sold in Tinder Box shops as North Sea, and I smoked a lot of it when I worked there in the mid-80s. When we were on duty, we could smoke, free, from any of the jars on the tobacco bar. North Sea was TB’s most popular blend nationwide, so it was my “light it and forget about it” blend if I didn’t bring my own or want to spring for a fresh tin (which was not free). In the years since, I’ve usually kept some on hand, more for nostalgia than pleasure; the aroma still takes me right back to that shop and the friends I made there.

So: I’ve never found it frustrating or troublesome in any way. But I’ve also never expected or asked much of it. If you take away the sentimental factor, it’s a mild, fairly innocuous aromatic. For a bulk blend, it’s not bad, but I’m not sure it’s going to reward much scrutiny.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Ah Tinderbox. I brought many a bag of 1Quilford home from that store.

The flavor is there, it's just in a tight pocket. I have not dried any out. My SOP is to get a mail drop and jar my bulks immediately. I'll sit some out on a coffee filter and try it out tomorrow.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Nougat is as you describe. It can be totally delicious or it can get airy and bite. I've started cutting aromatics with burley ribbon and a little cigar leaf for a beefy and slightly sweet smoke, or I add the aromatic about 20% to a good English blend. Much more satisfying this way rather than straight up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pack it very lightly (gravity fill) and just nurse the ember on the point of it going out. If you produce large plumes of smoke with most aromatics, your tongue will pay the price.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Try some Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake. It has a similar topping (more chocolate cream pie than nougat) and burns steady and cooler since it's a flake. Or, try pressing your Stokkebye Nougat in a noodle press, which should help it smoke cooler and more consistent.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Try some Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake. It has a similar topping (more chocolate cream pie than nougat) and burns steady and cooler since it's a flake. Or, try pressing your Stokkebye Nougat in a noodle press, which should help it smoke cooler and more consistent.
I'll second N400, but it's funny to me how the topping seems different to everybody. To me it's butterscotch caramel, to Jiminks it's honey, to you it's chocolate cream pie. Huh. Now I'm really curious what it really is that hits all of us differently.
(Notice though that everybody likes and recommends it.)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like Nougat, but IMO it’s so much better mixed half and half with a solid straight burley. Keep it in the family with Stokkebye 702 or try Peretti BPC. It’s also a lot easier to dry out the burley