Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake Dark Color Aged or Typical?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
The answer is probably that the box was kept in the warm cellar and used as a chair by various employees who went down there and collapsed on it, pressing it with the weight of their angst.
:rofl:

I certainly do feel like I won somehow.

He did ask how did I hear about it, because if you didn't ask for it you wouldn't know they have the Stokkebye blends downstairs. I wonder what else they might have lurking in the cellar down there. One thing is for sure, the luxury bullseye flake I bought from there was not nearly that dark.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wonder what else they might have lurking in the cellar down there.
Might be worth investigating... if they did not know that this blend was a treasure, they may be unaware of what else they have. Bring a truck.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Bring a truck.

If not a truck, at least a wheel barrow.

He did have some esoterica bags hiding down there that I purchased a while back which he saves for loyal customers, to eliminate the one lone wolf from buying every difficult to find blend all at once.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
This is a follow up after I received my order of Stokkebye blends from smoking pipes today. I have confirmed (by smell) that is is definitely luxury twist flake that has quite a bit of age. I have not talked to the B & M yet about buying the rest of what they have in stock.. :lol: Here are my comparison pictures with what I just received fresh today. Very cool!!

GtK7I3f.jpg

VSyQzz1.jpg

nNMTGj2.jpg

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
Wow. I'm really curious as to how that tobacco came to be that dark! I would definitely ask them.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
The answer is probably that the box was kept in the warm cellar and used as a chair by various employees who went down there and collapsed on it, pressing it with the weight of their angst.

Deathmetal is probably right..

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
How does it taste compared to the fresh?

Stokkebye was there a few months ago, I wonder if he could have brought some aged blends possibly.

Eric Stokkebye has nothing to do with the Stokkebye-branded tobaccos. The Stokkebye trademark for use with tobacco was sold by Eric's father, Peter Stokkebye and is now owned by STG, which produces the Stokkebye line at the Orlik plant in Assens, DK.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yeah I'm curious to see how that topping has held up.
Also I'm curious if it stayed in the 1.5lb box if it was dried out a bit.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Fitzy, It was in the 1.5 pound box when I purchased it. And it is not dried out at all, although there were a couple of hydrating discs in there. The topping was to me as heavy hitting in the "tin note" as when purchased new, it did have a more fermented tinge to it if that makes sense.
Thanks, woods, I didn't realize scandanavina tobacco group was involved or that Eric has nothing to do with the blends. But that does make sense as I enjoy a lot of the STG blends.

As for the comparison, I have yet to try the fresh one, I smoked the navy flake last night, and really liked it. I also received a beacon extra with this order, since you bought so many I figured I better try it, you seem to like a lot of the same blends as me.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Edit on the "tin note" (it's jarred now obviously and came from a box). :lol:

(Concerning the topping). The fresh jar I get a buttery caramel, some vanilla and a hint of liquor. Almost like toffee also. I can't really distinguish the virginias from this.

The aged jar what stands out at first IMO is raisins, and I get a hint of figs, and then I get a slight caramel/vanilla quality, but very slightly now, with a slight liquor tinge in the background.

When I smoke this aged one a lot of the topping doesn't come through after the first bit of the bowl. I will have to follow up with a smoking comparison on the fresh jar.

By the way I haven't really smoked any stokkebye blends hot or fast, but that being said, I haven't had any bite from these, they are really nice.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Edit on the "tin note" (it's jarred now obviously and came from a box). :lol:

(Concerning the topping). The fresh jar I get a buttery caramel, some vanilla and a hint of liquor. Almost like toffee also. I can't really distinguish the virginias from this.

The aged jar what stands out at first IMO is raisins, and I get a hint of figs, and then I get a slight caramel/vanilla quality, but very slightly now, with a slight liquor tinge in the background.

When I smoke this aged one a lot of the topping doesn't come through after the first bit of the bowl. I will have to follow up with a smoking comparison on the fresh jar.

By the way I haven't really smoked any stokkebye blends hot or fast, but that being said, I haven't had any bite from these, they are really nice.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I just opened a jar of LTF that I had packed rather tight, and it spent some time in a temperature "controlled" storage that was still very hot, during the big Louisiana flood a few years ago. My flakes are dark, dark brown, like in the photo posted by Bluegrasspipe. I had some other jarred tobaccos that darkened in a similar fashion. My LTF has the same scent as the fresh, but smoke-wise is spicier, with a deeper tobacco taste that the fresh stuff. The sweet flavor dissipates quickly after lighting. It is far more robust now. Heat and pressure seems to be the secret.

May 4, 2015
It will age as fast as it's going to age. Changing the conditions will make it age differently. Whether that's better or worse is dependent on a host of factors, your personal opinion being the most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.