PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I really LOVE this blend, but my God, it kicks my ass with the nicotine hit. I have had to start smoking it in Group 1-2 sized pipes to get the flavor, but not "the mule just kicked me" Nic-hit. I think I am biologically a nicotine wimp. Any other Stokkebye blends that y'all can suggest that aren't Nicotine Monsters?

Reactions: chopper and seanv
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm probably not the best person to answer, because there are very few tobaccos that kick my butt, but I'd suggest Luxury Twist Flake. It does have a light topping, but it's quite delicious and the aroma is nice for both the smoker and those around him. It's been awhile since I had Luxury Navy Flake because I have a 500g package aging in a sealed jar, but I don't think it has as much nicotine as LBF.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I don't get a buzz from bullseye flake. I have tried stokkebye toasted burley and balkan supreme. Both are excellent. I will be ordering some Amsterdam once this covid 19 passes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a jar of Bullseye aging now for a few years, but my original supply didn't seem overbearing in the nic department. I'll see where it goes when I finally open the jar. I don't seem to get nic withdrawal, so maybe I'm not too susceptible.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I really LOVE this blend, but my God, it kicks my ass with the nicotine hit. I have had to start smoking it in Group 1-2 sized pipes to get the flavor, but not "the mule just kicked me" Nic-hit. I think I am biologically a nicotine wimp. Any other Stokkebye blends that y'all can suggest that aren't Nicotine Monsters?
Since switching from a 40-a-day cig habit I choose blends with mild nicotine so I've become sensitive to Vit N.

Luxury Bulls Eye and Luxury Navy Flake have a nicotine level just a step above mild but it's enough for me to notice. It's not excessive but I do smoke both in smaller bowls.

Orlik Golden Sliced and Formers Birds Eye Flake are both really nice with mild nicotine.
I'd also recommend Luxury Twist Flake.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
LBF doesn't contain more nicotine than the other Stokkebye blends, but it has more Perique, which is more alkaline than the Virginia tobaccos. The higher pH causes the smoke to contain a relatively higher level of free nicotine versus bound nicotine. It's the free nicotine that you feel because it it's rapidly absorbed. The effect of the Perique, then, is to increase the pH and thus, free nicotine.

Conversely, the light topping on LTF probably includes sugars, which when burned form acids, reducing the pH of the smoke. That's why aromatic blends rarely give any nic hit.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
LBF doesn't contain more nicotine than the other Stokkebye blends, but it has more Perique, which is more alkaline than the Virginia tobaccos. The higher pH causes the smoke to contain a relatively higher level of free nicotine versus bound nicotine. It's the free nicotine that you feel because it it's rapidly absorbed. The effect of the Perique, then, is to increase the pH and thus, free nicotine.

Conversely, the light topping on LTF probably includes sugars, which when burned form acids, reducing the pH of the smoke. That's why aromatic blends rarely give any nic hit.

Wow! Thanks for this explanation @craiginthecorn !

What about a tobacco like HH Bold Kentucky? It has little topping and no Perique, so is it the manufacturing process that creates the amount of free nicotine or that the Burley brings the alkaline to the table?

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019

Damn, I got a C in chemistry......Thanks for giving it some science. I thought "it's just because"....Appreciate the explanation, but damn it sure tastes good.

Status
Not open for further replies.