Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Like the title says, what's the point of having one? Some type of filter? And how does one go about removing them?

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Most were designed as a condenser to collect moisture. Most folks just remove them because they cause the obstruction of pipe cleaners and really do nothing acting as a filter. Usually they can just be pulled out if the tenon, some are threaded into place and can be unscrewed.

logandow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
They supposedly create a dryer smoke but most of the time the just get in the way. Although I do have one pipe that has a stinger that I love to smoke

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The ones from my Dr. Grabow's went in the trash, but the inner tube type in my Peterson Kildares are still in there. Can't say I noticed a difference with or without them.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
They are for converting your pipe into a self-defense weapon. You unscrew the stem, blast them in the face with hot baccy and then stab them in the eye with the stinger.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
:rofl: You must have never seen the pipe/mace I designed.
bedb67ad.jpg

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I have a few pipes with them, but only one that I smoke (savinelli prince).
This stinger is different then the others...it's just a metal piece cut at an angle. I tend to be a wet smoker, and wanted to remove it to see if it helps. As far as obstructing anything, since it's an open metal tube I don't have that problem. It fact, this pipe has the biggest draw of all my pipes!
So if I yank this piece out, can I put it back if I feel the other may is better?

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I don't know that they really do too much, but all of my Kaywoodies have them, and I love my Kaywoodies, a lot.
They are nice in that, if I don't have much time to pack, or my baccy is too dry, I can still get a decent draw due to the obstruction of the stinger. And when I have time to pack well, the stinger doesn't seem to get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.