PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I have a Kaywoodie meerschaum with a four hole stinger. I would never remove it. It can be a nuisance to clean and I don't know if it adds or subtracts from my smoking experience but that's how my godfather bought it and that's how it will stay. I smoke most of my scented tobacco out of it. Grasmere flake, Dark plug scented, Warhorse bar, and the like.🤙

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The greatest asset to a stinger is keeping small pieces of tobacco from being sucked into your throat.

I don’t mind Kaywoodie ball stingers. I leave those. I’ve removed the stinger, one very similar to yours, from a Field and Stream pipe.

Smoke it first.
Especially when ALL you smoke is very very dry tobacco.... That's the only reason I have ever used filters of any sort.

In my meer, I've gotten too the point where after the pipe is filled, I draw real good on it, just to get it over with before I start smoking 😫.

Hoooooof....
Pft pft pft pft.

😅

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I own over a hundred Lee pipes with removable stingers, and I think the Lee style stingers work as advertised.

The smoke stream collides with an aluminum barrier that traps just a little bit of the tars, and in addition there is a very small drop in temperature of the smoke.

I’ve smoked them with and without the stinger, and prefer the slightly richer taste with the stinger removed.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
If I notice a difference, I'm not above admitting it ;-)
That's what the real men say on the subject! 👍

My opinion is that not everyone needs a stinger, still some do need it, so it's better to have it as an easy removale-reinstallable option. Most smokers probably just don't notice the difference, but some of those with more sensitive mouth membranes do. The stinger doesn't filter or dry the smoke or alter flavours in any way, but what it does is slightly reducing the temperature of the smoke stream. And for some that could be important and desirable.

The stinger does have a disadvantage: it may condensate vapour into liquid drops, which are then sucked into the airway and make the pipe to gurgle with no option to run a pipe cleaner through. Cool and slow smoking (and also installing the stinger so that the groove looks not up or down but sideways) eliminates this nuisance. Smoking cool however is another art to master, so maybe that's why so much hate towards the innocuous thingy from the side of the "advanced n00bs" :)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A new old stock Rogers Lovat arrived today with a typical stinger.

8B23CDBA-3A38-4D2E-A01C-C07D421EF4DF.jpeg3396EC43-F3A9-4F0F-9925-51FA84CFE415.jpeg

After stripping off the horrible looking varnish, I left the stinger inside this one.

This might not be my best pipe, but it’s going to one of my favorite $15 pipes.:)

4054CC62-B17C-4A21-A203-5029154C2760.jpeg

If I were but the King, I’d slap a ten dollar tax on every new pipe that didn’t come with a removable stinger.

I think they help cooling the smoke.

They surely don’t warm it up any.:)

E

Esrafel

(and also installing the stinger so that the groove looks not up or down but sideways) :)
You, sir, have answered my question about that.

I *knew* that skulking about long enough would do the trick. :)