PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

motorjon68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2023
Cincinnati
I have an estate pipe with a crinkled stinger. I believe that’s the term for the metal insert in the stem. Is it necessary?

Attachments

• A1BBA0C7-734F-40EC-9540-5284A2FCAA5F.jpeg
    A1BBA0C7-734F-40EC-9540-5284A2FCAA5F.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 30

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some people feel a stinger delivers a dryer cooler smoke, but most people don't see any purpose or benefit in them and remove them. I have one of the old Kaywoodie Drinkless pipes where the stinger is part of the screw-in stem, hence is not removable. It gives and pleasant smoke and is quick to clean, but removable stingers I remove.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
I'm sort of chemically sensitive to certain types of tobaccos and casings so I do appreciate the slight but still noticeable difference that stinger brings with it. I often insert stingers into my pipes where originally there weren't any. When choosing a pipe I'd prefer one with stinger, everything else equal.

In contrast, inner tubes make little difference to the smoke temperature, in my experience. They are usually too wide in diameter to effectively cool or condensate the smoke. What they work for well, is keeping the inside of the shank dry and clean. Nothing more than that, as far as I notice.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm sort of chemically sensitive to certain types of tobaccos and casings so I do appreciate the slight but still noticeable difference that stinger brings with it. I often insert stingers into my pipes where originally there weren't any. When choosing a pipe I'd prefer one with stinger, everything else equal.

In contrast, inner tubes make little difference to the smoke temperature, in my experience. They are usually too wide in diameter to effectively cool or condensate the smoke. What they work for well, is keeping the inside of the shank dry and clean. Nothing more than that, as far as I notice.
so glad to finally see someone who prefers them. And my understanding of the inner tubes is they are about cleaning or keeping it clean. And if memory serves me (which often it does not) the inner tube predates the pipe cleaner.

Reactions: cersono

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
so glad to finally see someone who prefers them.
I guess there's far more people preferring them than we're aware of. They just rarely voice their preference, as coming out as a Stinger User requires some balls of steel.

You see, the tiny stinger is kinda sensitive topic. Besides being just a minute subject of personal preference for the veterans, the Stinger Scorn is unfortunately also an all-important Right-of-Passage-Identifier for the advanced n00b flock. To say "I pull the stinger off and throw it out first thing after purchasing a pipe, right in the store" or "If you need some stingers, go search in the pipestore dustbin, there should be plenty discarded by me and by other real men" equals to saying... I don't know even what... maybe, "I have not just smoked my first cig already, I've already been kissing with a real girl too!!!". 🔞

I'm far from lumping all those who don't see a point in using the stinger together with those obnoxious n00bs (many if not most veterans discard stingers too, just without giving it much significance). But it's exactly because of those vocal and categorical n00bs that some people keep their stinger preference like a dirty personal secret to be ashamed of.

Just rebel. Come out. There's no shame in using a stinger. There's no shame in not discarding it first thing right in the store.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I guess there's far more people preferring them than we're aware of. They just rarely voice their preference, as coming out as a Stinger User requires some balls of steel.

You see, the tiny stinger is kinda sensitive topic. Besides being just a minute subject of personal preference for the veterans, the Stinger Scorn is unfortunately also an all-important Right-of-Passage-Identifier for the advanced n00b flock. To say "I pull the stinger off and throw it out first thing after purchasing a pipe, right in the store" or "If you need some stingers, go search in the pipestore dustbin, there should be plenty discarded by me and by other real men" equals to saying... I don't know even what... maybe, "I have not just smoked my first cig already, I've already been kissing with a real girl too!!!". 🔞

I'm far from lumping all those who don't see a point in using the stinger together with those obnoxious n00bs (many if not most veterans discard stingers too, just without giving it much significance). But it's exactly because of those vocal and categorical n00bs that some people keep their stinger preference like a dirty personal secret to be ashamed of.

Just rebel. Come out. There's no shame in using a stinger. There's no shame in not discarding it first thing right in the store.

I admit that I have never even smoked a bowl with the stinger in. I had always heard that it was a gimmick that doesn't actually do anything. You have now motivated me to try a bowl with the stinger in, next time I get a pipe that has one. If I notice a difference, I'm not above admitting it ;-)

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Stingers do not put me off (I have stated this on the forum previously). In fact, 30% of the 30 or so pipes in my collection have stingers. However, each one of my pipes (stinger or no) represent 100s I have tried and found lacking and then got rid of. I am certain most of the pipes I found lacking were perfectly good smokers. It's just personal preference. Part of the "stinger thing" for me is the idea they represent an era... a place in history. I like the idea of preserving that aspect of history and the idea of experiencing what someone before my time experienced. Admittedly, it's a sentimental notion.