Still Have Your First Pipe? Why or Why Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
Still have my first, a Stanwell/Ivarsson that I bought new as part of a “starter kit” 6 tins of Stanwell tobacco pack of cleaners and a pipe shaped tool. Did a bunch of reading and how to videos and decided I should start out with a cob ‘just in case’ so I actually had this pipe for almost a year before I ever smoked it. It’s a fantastic smoker and gets used at least once a week.

Pretty sure I still have some of the Stanwell tobacco as well.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
First 5 or 6 pipes were cobs I made out in the barn from the corn crib, over 50 years ago. I bet the great great great great granddad mice ate them long ago.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
An Iwan Reis my wife gave me about 15 years ago. It smokes great and has gotten really pretty with age and use.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
First pipe I ever bought was a Comoy Golden Grain Canadian in 1961, and it is still in daily rotation.

en4DIPPl.jpg

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Cool thread! I’ve loved reading all the answers.
My first pipe was a cob. A little MM bent apple.
My first briar was a gift to me from my wife. It was an estate Comoy straight billiard with a saddle bit (3 piece C), relatively clean. It’s not my oldest Comoy but it’s very special to me. I still have both.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I still have my first one...a black rusticated Sav Hercules 619 EX that I purchased from Frenchy's pipes.
I bought a few of my first pipes from him back around '06 when I began transitioning from cigars. I've wondered occasionally if he's still around somewhere and how he's doing. He seemed to vanish a few or several years ago.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Yes. I had a $10 no-name cheap pipe which broke right after I tried to smoke it years ago and made me quit pipe smoking for some time, so I don't count that.
Then my mother gave me this Bazzanelli churchwarden last year. I was going to go back to smoke cigarettes or start to smoke pipes, and this gift made me stop starting the cigarette habit again. I thank my mother for that. It has a lot of sentimental value of course. The bowl is pretty small for me to smoke nowadays, but it smokes great:

53043048_327777594515752_2715269330869682176_n.jpg

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Do you still have the first pipe you ever owned? What was it? Was it new? Was it a hand-me-down? If you bought it, where? Do you still have it?
Yes. It's a "Crown" brand purchased from a local Tinder Box that has since closed. I purchased it brand new.
I keep it precisely because it was my first pipe. I don't smoke it. No interest in doing so.

doctoryes

Lurker
Mar 5, 2019
My first was a Dunhill patten in I received in 1999 from my father (also a pipe collector and smoker with over 200 pipes!). I still smoke it, and it smokes better than the other 3 Dunhills I acquired that aren’t estates!

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
My first was a Peterson system 303 that I bought at the BX in Panama in 1985. I lost it but bought another in 1993 that I still have and smoke regularly.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, I still have my first pipe. It was a house pipe that I purchased from Heroes & Legacies (rip). It’s a Savinelli made pipe made for Heroes & Legacies so it doesn’t have the shape number in the nomenclature. It now has a crappy band (should have sent it to Cosmic for that) because I beat it up over the years, dropped it and cracked the shank but it still smokes excellent and I smoke it all the time. This pipe and I have been through a lot together. I bought two more of these house Savinelli pipes for $40 a pipe back in 2009 and I thought that was expensive at the time, haha!
First pipe:

56D5GkC.jpg

The other two I bought 3 months after:
80y1fcf.jpg

I4X9OTe.jpg

All three are awesome smokers! Especially for $40.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I don't have my first pipe...And I don't give a single fuck what happened to it because it was awful...It was a yellow bowl billiard made of "Brylon". I bought it at a local drug store in 1979 because I had grown tired of smoking my dad's old Kaywoodies...Christ I had no idea what I was doing... :?
But I do have my second pipe...a Briar Workshop bent apple that at the time, (1980) cost me about half a weeks pay. Again I had no idea what I was doing but I got lucky with that one...I walked into my soon to be regular tobacconist, spied a revolving rack full of really nice pipes with a snowflake moniker on them and chose a rather chunky, smooth, dark walnut stained beauty without asking the price. After all how much could it be, pipes were cheap, they were like 8 bucks at the drug store. As I said I was clueless. When I got to the register the pipe smoking sales clerk, named John, said to me $65 dollars, American. I gasped so hard that almost swallowed my 19 year old tounge. Well I bit the bullet and I forked over nearly the lasted of the contents of my wallet. It left me with about 20 bucks between starvation and payday. In fact I had to wait a week to by some Tobacco so I could smoke my new pipe... :D

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
My first pipe was given to me by my father back in 1959, with a pouch of Cookie Jar. He didn’t want me smoking cigarettes. It was a rather small billiard, basket pipe, that I still have. I smoke it, occasionally, for sentimental reasons. But, the bowl is about a group ½, so, not much of a smoke. The first pipe I bought myself, sometime in the early 60s, was a Medico Guardsman, with the port in the bottom of the bowl. I still occasionally smoke that one, too.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
My first pipe was stolen! Still bitter about that, it was a nice Ashton 3/4 bent billard. Stolen out of my barracks room while away for duty. Worse part I didnt even have a roommate. Someone had a key to get in.smh

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My first pipe belonged to my father, who didn't take to it for long. It is a late 1950s Willard Canadian that is a bad smoker. Perhaps, if my father tried a better pipe and better tobacco, he might have given pipe smoking more of a chance. Anyway, I'd never part with it because it was his pipe and my first one.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Always does my heart good to see folks who still have their first or second & it was a good one. The piece of junk I had is lobg gone in a landfill somewhere, & I feel sorry for the landfill. }:)
Bill

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bill: the first pipe I bought was a smooth, bent Dr. Grabow Omega egg. I've had thousands and thousands of smokes with that pipe, and I still occasionally smoke it. Best $2.49 I ever spent (1974 dollars).

Status
Not open for further replies.