PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Got a pipe from a friend who told me it hadn't been smoked more than once or twice. Bit shows no wear and the bowl doesn't look it was smoked at all. what should I do to sterilize it so I can smoke it? By the way I did do a search of site for a similiar question with nothing found. Any ideas?

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hospitals use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to sterilize equipment, I use it for pipes. Due to the high concentration it evaporates really fast.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Everclear on a pipe cleaner as K9shag stated... I also sometimes use whiskey on a pipe cleaner to wipe out the bowl, adds a little something to the taste :P

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm with Nic on the medical alcohol. However, real or imagined, the aroma lingers so I follow up with another pipe cleaner dunked in sour mash.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Fnord, what kind of medical alcohol do you use? I'm asking because I've never experience lingering aroma from it. Not even after soaking bowls in alcohol for 24 hours. Are you using a solution with a particularly high amount of "camphor" as ingredient? I'm wondering - I've just taken out a stem from the alcohol bath and it dried out within 10 minutes and when I smell on the stem I can't even tell that it just came out of an alcohol bath (other than that it's clean like hell).

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I know, I know, pal. It's just one of my less charming idiosyncrasies.
I've always hated the smell of Isopropyl alcohol and even though it's an integral part of my first aid kits and pipe cleaning processes the aroma "seems" to linger for hours. Ergo the bourbon wash.
For what it's worth, I have the same problem with the cooking smell of internal organs.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Same here reminds me of a hospital,not a good thing,use everclear,if i don"t have it i use conyac hope i spelled it right,know how to drink it not spell it LOL The old cajun,

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
+1 everclear . I heard once , if you wont consume it , dont put it in your pipe . I do use mad alcohal , when at the hospital and cant have everclear .

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I use medical-grade isopropyl alcohol. I've used it for years with good results and no problems. I've also used 91% isopropyl. You can buy it at any drug store for about four dollars.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Opinions differ, mine is that both types of alcohol are fine.
One thing to consider is that, depending on where you live, the isopropyl alcohol maybe available in much higher concentration than the ethanol (everclear). Some states don't allow pure grain spirits and your everclear may not be as high proof as you expect. As others have said, higher alcohol means less water, which means a stronger solvent and also a faster drying time.

teamkazam

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
I like everclear - but make sure it's a high proof. Sometimes I use a little rum too... If I'm breaking in a pipe, the rum seems to speed up the process. Also... A little added hint comes through during the smoke that I find very pleasing. I have been told to stay away from "denatured" alcohol as it has additives that an spoil a pipe. Don't know how big a deal it all is but why put anything in your mouth not meant for consumption?

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
190 proof Everclear works for me. If a pipe's sour and the salt/alcohol treatment doesn't get it, I wipe it out with some brandy.

Smokey

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Buy a bottle of 151 rum - good, high alcohol content, sterilizes and sweetens the pipe very well. Been using it for quite a while and works wonders. Helluva lot less expensive than everclear or commercial sweetners and lasts a looooong time!

bb

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I use 151 sometimes also . It is the same price as everclear , and is sweeter . I like only everclear for retort though . You can gauge the effectiveness a bit better because it starts out clear .

Status
Not open for further replies.