PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I'm not a beginner, but I see pics from forum members showing pipes with what appears to be electrical tape on the stem. I use the rubber bits, but the tape idea interests me. Only thing is, I thought that stuff was toxic? What kind of foodsafe tape are folks using to protect their stems from teeth marks? Thanks!

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I'm curious about this also. My vulcanite stems have teeth marks that make me think I'm part beaver (no jokes!LOL). I hate the added thickness of rubber stem tip and the squishy feeling I get when using one--I've dropped a pipe from my mouth more than once :-( and like a secure feeling when I clench!
kindly
mike

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Well I wasn't going to name names, but I think he has me muted anyhow due to a small dispute we got into awhile back regarding KBV. I was in the wrong, and gave him a little too much grief, so @hoosierpipeguy if you don't have me muted--I'm sorry.

But yes, many pics he posts show his pape wrapped in what appears to be electrical tape on the bit. I have always been told to keep that stuff out of my mouth due to toxicity etc, but then again some say the same thing about tobacco smoke lol

92degrees

Lurker
Feb 25, 2019
I went to a couple of hardware stores recently to buy shrink tubing for a few of my "yardwork, fishing, dog hiking" pipes. Every package said the tubing was toxic. I realize that smoking is smoking...but the warning labels put me off using shrink tubing.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Well I wasn't going to name names, but I think he has me muted anyhow due to a small dispute we got into awhile back regarding KBV. I was in the wrong, and gave him a little too much grief, so @hoosierpipeguy if you don't have me muted--I'm sorry.

But yes, many pics he posts show his pape wrapped in what appears to be electrical tape on the bit. I have always been told to keep that stuff out of my mouth due to toxicity etc, but then again some say the same thing about tobacco smoke lol
It's probably bondage tape, basically electrical tape that doesn't have adhesive on it. I won't speculate what else he might use it for, heh.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I should also mention that I recently had major work done on my top front teeth. $2500 out of pocket, plus whatever the insurance company paid. 3 crowns, an extraction, veneers, permanent bridge.
So yeah, I use softie bits now. Not much choice really.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
It's probably bondage tape, basically electrical tape that doesn't have adhesive on it. I won't speculate what else he might use it for, heh.
haha--i've gotten so slow upstairs i had to read your post twice to figure out what the heck you might be referring to--i'm still clueless though on tape without adhesive--never hear of that! LOL -- i'm dumb about lots of stuff!
kindly
mike

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT and mingc

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Reactions: mingc and Mike D

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
thnx--just saw this right after i hit "post" for the above LOL
Mark's a great help and You are also!
kindly
mike
I blame Mark for my TAD and PAD. LOL He's actually a great guy, and a wealth of knowledge. He has helped me out more times than I can count.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I've never payed attention it, but you also have teflon tape that is used in plumbing for screw in taps (for water). I have no idea on if that's healthy, but your smoking anyway :ROFLMAO:

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
"Non adhesive, no lead stabilized product made of plasticized polyvinyl chloride film. Tape adheres firmly to itself when spirally wrapped."

Sounds decent! Sold out currently, but maybe I can find it elsewhere.
Try a search on amazon for TapeCase TC790. Plenty have it in stock on Amazon. That was just the first link I found so I could show you what it was.

Reactions: mingc

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I should also mention that I recently had major work done on my top front teeth. $2500 out of pocket, plus whatever the insurance company paid. 3 crowns, an extraction, veneers, permanent bridge.
So yeah, I use softie bits now. Not much choice really.
Do you bite your stem? I used to bite my bagpipes mouth piece. That lead to uncomfortable jaw and I ended up using softie bit. With smoking pipes, I don't bite at all. Have button rest on upper or lower teeth, and using lips to stabilize it. With practice, you can lunt and do everything this way without biting.