PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

souljah06

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
My first pipe was a no-namer from the local tobacco shop. It's a great pipe though. After maybe 8-9 smokes I noticed air was escaping from the stem. I thought the stem was loose, but it turns out that the stem has holes/cracks in it. I'm posting some pics so you can see where they are. I'm kind of surprised at where the holes are, but again I am more of a noob with all of this. My first question is was this my fault, or just because it was a cheap pipe(which it is, lol)? My second question is what should I do to go about getting a new stem? Do I need to send it to someone or buy a new stem(which makes me question fitting issues and such). Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
A fab of clear nail polish seems like it would do the trick. I'd invest in a nicer pipe before I got a new stem in all honesty, if it was cheap you're looking at paying the same price you paid for the pipe just to get a replacement stem. Someone else will probably have more sound advice though. Hope it's an easy fix

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Kyle has the right idea. Plug the hole with whatever is handy (tape, glue, nail polish) or just buy a new one. A new stem will probably run a minimum of $25.

souljah06

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
Awesome idea. I didn't even think of clear nail polish. It's drying now, hopefully it'll hold. Thanks!

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Let us know how it works out! Even if you have to redo it every couple of weeks, it's worth thebmoney saved. :puffy:

souljah06

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
The nail polish worked when I checked the stem for any seeping air, but when I connected it to the bowl it just chipped and broke free. My wife said the nail polish was cheap, BUT that we had some super glue in the kitchen. So far the super glue is holding up strong! I let it air out overnight so now it doesn't smell like glue, lol. Definitely worth saving money if it'll hold. Thanks again!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't know... personally I wouldn't let nail polish or super glue near ANYTHING I was inhaling through. It might be time to cut your losses and just buy a decent pipe.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I wouldn't let nail polish or super glue near ANYTHING I was inhaling through
Bigvan, I've used it quite successfully to tighten up loose tenons. A little coating makes the tenon fit snuggly in the mortise again. You do have to let it dry to get rid of the odor and since it's on the outside of the tenon, it never comes in contact with what you're inhaling.. works like a charm for me.

souljah06

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
Yeah, the only reason I was alright with using nail polish and super glue is because of where the holes are, since they aren't actually being inhaled. It's still holding and smokes great again^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.