PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I have two estate Petersons both with plips, one is the peterson we were wondering about being A real Peterson, the other is A kildare 80s.
Both of these pipes have very small holes in the lip end, and you cannot get A cleaner through from that end. You can get A wet cleaner from the tenon end, but they will not come out far enough to get A grip on them, I am having to pull the cleaner through using pliers. When the cleaner gets to the dry part it almost impossible to pull it on through. When the cleaner get out of the lip end it is half the size it was when it went in. The cleaners are coming out clean.
Is this just A size problem on could oxidation have built up inside the stem restricting the air flow and the cleaner passing through. I am using everclear as A cleaning agent.
Thanks for your help
Jerry

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't use p-lips, but I'd say that if you're not having problems with the draw on the pipe, then everything's OK.

You might consider jury-rigging a flossing device if cleanliness is an issue. Also, let's not overlook the obvious

solution, buy a fishtail for that pipe.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The design if the P-lip puts a bend in the cleaner that is oppisite the stem curvature. Using a little forward pressure, rotate the cleaner 180 degrees and it should go in. If that doesn't work, use a jewelers rat tailed file to gently open the hole.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have no problems. I always use Longs pipe cleaner because it is easy to order them with my tobacco .

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The bent pipe cleaner trick also works to get to the chamber on some "cheaper" bent pipes that don't have a draft hole that feeds directly to the hole in the tenon.
I use Long's because that's what the B&M's carry and because it supports a local manufacturer.
-Jason

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
You can use thin cleaners.

The P-lip is designed with a decreasing bore, it being narrower at the bit end.

Theoretically it helps to let the tar juices condensate near the bowl so the smoke arrives dry to the mouth. In a conventional pipe it makes no appreciable difference, but in a System one it's a key factor for the whole process.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
This is A follow up on my original post.
After reading all the post I decided not to file on the pipe but to go with Chucks advice rather than alter the design of the pipe. It worked great, I have been smoknig the pipe at least once A day with no problems. After the smoke I put A cleaner in the bit, screw it all the way down.
So, thanks to Chuck and Skipper I am enjoying this pipe. I still can't beleive the amount of smoke that comes out of that small hole.
Thanks guys
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.