PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Hello novicemaker here,
couple quick questions, and feel free to move my post to the right stops.

Ive been looking at the pipe buy and sell section and a few thoughts came to mind. I am new to this world of smoking.
Ok so i am curious about the different types of stems, like what is vulcanite, acrylic, plastic or rubber as a stem product? And my list the short i know other types of stems so list any you have and help us new peeps out.
What are the big dos and dont of the various types of stems, and any helpful tips on keeping them show case new.
And list any stems that you think are better for new smokers, like airway flow, ease of clean up, and general thoughts along those lines.
Know while i have been browsing the forum every time i have a question come to mind there are so many older topics to filter through that i catch ADD and start looking at topics that i didnt even think of yet. Now i have looked up certain terms i think it'd be nice to have you more experienced peeps tells us newer types what you think.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The majority of stems are made from either vulcanite, which is also known as ebonite, and is a product made from hard rubber, or made from lucite, which is a form of plastic. Less common materials are horn, ivory, or wood.

Many smokers have a preference, some preferring vulcanite, others lucite. Vulcanite has a little give to it and can be carved into a comfortably thin flat shape where it meets the bit. it requires more maintanence to keep its looks than does lucite, but some smokers don't like the hardness of lucite stems.
Whichever material you prefer, both need to be cleaned after use. Vulcanite is more prone to gunk build up and oxidation where it enters the mouth, but this can be avoided by cleaning after use. It's also a good idea to avoid leaving vulcanite in direct sunlight as exposure causes oxidation and discoloration over time. Lucite doesn't have this issue as far as I know.
Lucite is easy to clean and comes in a variety of finishes, including transparent or translucent, as well as a kaleidoscope of colors. Vulcanite is opaque, though it too can come in a variety of colors.

When I clean my pipes at the end of the day, I disassemble the pipe and run several alcohol dipped pipe cleaners through the stem to remove any build up in the airway. I swab out the bit and the exterior of the stem. I also give the cleaned stem a coating of wax to maintain its shine and inhibit oxidation due to exposure of the surface to air.
If you are a chewer, you can buy rubber protectors to slip over the stem in order to avoid leaving tooth marks, or biting through the vulcanite.
Avoid removing the stem while the pipe is warm. Let yous pipe cool off before twisting off the stem for cleaning. Properly cared for, either material will provide a lifetime of service.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sablebrush gave a pretty good overview on stems. The most standard pipe stem is called a fishtail, the one

you'd recognize on the majority of pipes. Peterson and some other makers produce what's called a P-Lip

bit on their stems that directs the smoke toward the roof of your mouth (or up anyway) instead of straight

back. Some people love this style, others truly dislike it, and most like a pipe or two with P-Lip bits but

still prefer fishtails for most pipes. In addition to the vulcanite and lucite materials, there are a few others.

Some pipe stems are described as acrylic, which is either the same or similar to lucite. Missouri Meerschaum

cob pipes come with a relatively soft plastic stem, so if you chew a pipe stem at all, you may want a softie bit to

protect the stem, or to get a "Forever" lucite stem for your corn cob pipes. Old Dominion corn cob pipes have real

old time bamboo stems which are light weight and comfortable, as an alternative.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
thank you both for the posts i found them very helpful as i am sure others will.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I find the question and the information provided by sablebrush52 and mso489 to be quite useful as I'm currently wondering which type of material I would order for the stem if I decide to commision a pipe.
I'm still searching for more opinions though!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Well as a person who enjoys making things with wood i do love how bamboo works. its a fast growing plant(at lest in general terms compared to redwoods, oaks and so on) it sands well and takes a stain very nicely IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.