PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CBailey

Lurker
Aug 1, 2024
West Valley Utah
Just curious. I’ve smoked a pipe for the 40 years and broke in many. But the one thing that has puzzled me. How long after smoking a new pipe do you run the cleaner down the stem? My youngest boy asked me and I couldn’t answer and felt lost.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Just curious. I’ve smoked a pipe for the 40 years and broke in many. But the one thing that has puzzled me. How long after smoking a new pipe do you run the cleaner down the stem? My youngest boy asked me and I couldn’t answer and felt lost.
In my ~45 years of smoking a pipe…. the answer I would give in all honesty is….. when it feels like it would be helpful to do so.

In other words, no real set time.

For me, on an average pipe, I might run one through BEFORE trying it out the first time to identify if there are any constrictions in the stem that would make a pipe cleaner difficult to use. But if I had no reason to suspect that possibility, probably after a third or fourth bowlful is what I usually do.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I think it's a good idea to run a cleaner through them often. I find that if this is done after each smoke it keeps the job EZ. 95% of my pipes get the cleaner from bit to bowl w/o removing the stem, so no real hassle there. I prefer to do it warm as well to get the juice from the bottom of the bowl, if any, before it dries in. With this method it is very rare that i encounter souring and much less deep cleans with alcohol are necessary.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
warm is new for me
I usually let it cool but I may try it
Indeed, try it! Gets more gunk. I would only let it cool if it's necessary to remove the stem. Otherwise, i dump it (when it's done), and swab it out in a jiffy before considering the next object of my desire. Simple part of the smoking process as far as i'm concerned. I prefer preventative methods and things that are ez now as opposed to more involved later when neglected.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I'm likely to have run a pipe cleaner through a new pipe before smoking it. Also entirely possible that I will do so again at some point during the first bowl. Past that I generally give them a swabbing out after every smoke, generally without removing the stem unless otherwise prompted.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I mostly smoke meerschaums and don’t use pipe cleaners very often. If the draw gets constricted I slap the open chamber against my palm (with the chamber facing up like normal) to loosen the pack. Any moisture gets blown back into the chamber when I dump the pipe.

I’m not sure why a new pipe would be any different? I generally check whether or not a new pipe passes a cleaner before I light it up. It’s not a deal breaker for me on meers but likely would be on a briar.

Reactions: emac.917

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I mostly smoke meerschaums and don’t use pipe cleaners very often. If the draw gets constricted I slap the open chamber against my palm (with the chamber facing up like normal) to loosen the pack. Any moisture gets blown back into the chamber when I dump the pipe.

I’m not sure why a new pipe would be any different? I generally check whether or not a new pipe passes a cleaner before I light it up. It’s not a deal breaker for me on meers but likely would be on a briar.
Seeing how nicely your meers move along, I may start giving your technique a whirl.

To the OP-I run a cleaner through after every smoke. My habit is bit to bowl, then flip around to clean end and run in from bit to about the mortise, favoring one side and then the other about halfway through the stroke. If stem seemed wet or I got drooly, I’ll then fold the cleaner to a tight “v” and push the point of the bend into the slot to get everything.
Sometimes during a smoke if I get heavy handed tamping or some other way clog the draft hole.
Stems and shank get cleaned with Everclear about every ten smokes or so I’d say.

Reactions: khiddy

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I do it when I get to it. If I smoke a non filtered pipe I prefer right after. Warm is good for cleaning. I usually use 9mm filters and clean it later. I do clean them every time but they really dont need it. The gunk and moisture is in the filter. I can use the same pipe cleaner literally all week for the stem and then its still not that filthy but eventually I give them a toss. On the stummel I use white elephant textured/brush filters. Of course those get dirty pretty quick.

Reactions: dottlejockey

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Random for me. Sometimes I will do it mid smoke to clean out moisture and sometimes I will smoke a pipe 5-10 times before I remember to clean. I typically will clean before the next smoke vs after the last one.

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I'm in the habit of running a paper towel through the bowl and then running a pipe climber through the stem. That seems to do the trick. I usually do that after every smoke.

Reactions: AreBee