PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Hey , fist time posting a thread but had a fun question to get you thinking if interested . Just finished watching some youtube clips on a steamtrain called the 4014 big boy , huge train of immence power and presance , had me smileing from ear to ear as i watched this beast come to life and to live again on the rails of the union pacific railway . Started wondering what it would be like to be the driver and what pipe and tobacco i would be smokeing while doing so . Think for me i would be toking on my little bent dr plumb filled with erinmore flake while chugging down the line he he , just a thort .

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That is one big boy!

I love taking trains when traveling. It's a great way to get around. I took a train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC one time and most of the ride was right along the pacific coast. Wonderful. So the idea of getting to drive a train, especially if I could smoke while doing it, sounds like a great way to make a living to me.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I live in Northeast Pennsylvania very close to Scranton ("Steamtown") There is a very rich history involving trains and coal mining here. Scranton has a train museum and there is a big boy there but it isn't operational. I believe they only made 14 and only two survived, the one and only operational one being on the west coast.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
That is one big boy!

I love taking trains when traveling. It's a great way to get around. I took a train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC one time and most of the ride was right along the pacific coast. Wonderful. So the idea of getting to drive a train, especially if I could smoke while doing it, sounds like a great way to make a living to me.
Yea theres something different about them .
I live in Northeast Pennsylvania very close to Scranton ("Steamtown") There is a very rich history involving trains and coal mining here. Scranton has a train museum and there is a big boy there but it isn't operational. I believe they only made 14 and only two survived, the one and only operational one being on the west coast.
Hey yea will have to make scranton first stop if i ever get over there ,looked it up and very pretty part of the country , we dont have the same sort of rail history here worse luck but my father did happen to work in a coal mine many years ago, that still kept and fed the last of the ponys used to help mine which always spun me out abit , would love to visit somewhere like scranton with the history being kept alive like that .

Reactions: Mr.Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A railroad buff friend, from a railroading family, commented to me that the mechanical engineering developed for the design and manufacturer of steam locomotives was and remains the highest level of that discipline, comparable maybe to the design that goes into super computers and/or artificial intelligence today, and still a source of mechanical engineering knowhow. I'm not an engineering guy, but I think he knew his stuff.

Jun 27, 2016
There are some good restoration videos out there, I watched one where they were doing some major work on the frame, among everything else that was getting restored, & it was pretty crazy.

Reactions: Lyle b

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I think the guy at the train museum in Scranton said it would cost over 5 million to get the big boy operational. Apparently, the engineering is insanely complicated and very few people are capable of rebuilding them.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
There are some good restoration videos out there, I watched one where they were doing some major work on the frame, among everything else that was getting restored, & it was pretty crazy.
Hey yea they are amazing pieces of engineering, would be even more amazing to be involved in a resto , i would even settle for broom boy on the floor trying not to get in the way as i stand around gawking in awe .

Status
Not open for further replies.