PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
You can flip a steak as many times as you like. Numerous studies have come up inconclusive on tenderness and moisture loss. By flipping 4 times I find you get better control over the heat which provides a more even cook, particularly if you are multitasking. Burgers should only be flipped once.

Again, just like how you pack your bowl it is a very personal preference. I have cooked tens of thousands of steaks and still screw it up from time to time...

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I like my steaks rare (as in, raw, really). Restaurants do not make it rare enough for me. Even after I give them special instructions, and describe to them exactly how rare I want it. I even tell them exactly how long to 'cook' it on each side. Still comes out rare/med rare at best.
I like mine just branded. If it's warm enough to bleed, it's overcooked. Marinaded and cooked over a grill (gas is fine, but I prefer charcoal). Get the fire hot, dry up the marinade a little, flip it, do the same to the second side and put it on my plate. The outside must not be completely brown, otherwise it's ruined to my liking. Takes about 30-60 seconds per side, depending on how hot the fire is.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am right there with you on cast iron. For me, if a steak is good enough, it needs nothing but olive oil and salt. I let the steaks come to temp, coat them in quality olive oil, salt my cutting board and drag the steaks heavy handed through the salt to cut it into the meat. They sit while I dry heat the cast iron till it's as hot as can be. Sear 3 minutes a side and finish at 350 dependent on the thickness. I like mine a true medium rare but pink rare is also acceptable. Blue rare I can eat but I don't like nearly as much.
Here is one prep I use that isn't so minimalist. Get a small tub of blue cheese crumbles, a stick of butter and sweet basil. Melt the blue cheese into the butter and basil until all the smallest pieces have dissolved, pour it into a square Tupperware and throw it in the fridge for a few hours. Get a jar of malt vinegar pickled onions and pour the vinegar into a glass or ceramic baking dish and marinate the steaks 20 minutes per side and drain the vinegar into a sauce pan (this is a no no most times but with quality beef, I am not concerned). Salt, oil and pepper the steaks. Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1 tbsp Worcestershire to the vinegar and start reducing. Once that is going, I seer the steaks for 3 minutes a side and grill the pickled onions. Then the steaks go into the oven for 8-12 minutes depending on the thickness. Keep an eye on the sauce and pull the butter out of the fridge. Smack it out and you should have a square with butter on the bottom and blue cheese on top. Fourth this and when the steaks have 1 minutes left in the oven, add one butter cheese cube to the top of each steak and turn the broiler on. Pull the steaks which will now have a nice coating of blue cheese and butter and plate on some parsnip puree with grilled pickled onions on the side and drizzle with the malt vinegar, brown sugar sauce.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Hey Beefeater, (like the name), In Pa we call that a Pittsburg steak.
There's also the dirty steak method-- Don't knock it till you've tried it. Get a good oak fire going, turn over one of those oak logs that's red hot with coals and apply your steak, right to the coals! Surprisingly the ashes DON'T stick, and the steak is not 'dirty"! Did this with venison once in a deer camp and it was to die for---- but also have done Porterhouses with equal results. I guess I just like that good hardwood/campfire infused flavor!

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
Yeah. By definition never "barbecue" your steak. I like mine on hardwood coal. Directly on the coal. Gas doesn't get hot enough.

Salt and pepper. Bring to room temp. Get the coal going. Spread them. Fan off the loose ash. And lay on the meat. 45 seconds on each side at 450° F or hotter.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Course good salt ,cracked black pepper, splash of soy sauce, splash of Worcestershire. splash of tobasco ,and Tarragon .Pound herbs in to the steak using your fist . Place about 2 inches over hot coals and sear each side move to indirect heat and finish . Meat should never be rushed low heat is the pathway to tenderness and flavor .I also find meat tastes better if left to thaw on the counter vs the evil microwave defrost .

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Sear porter house stake on a hot piece of cast iron for 2-3 minutes each side let stand for 5 minutes on a ceramic plate with a cover over it, then eat it no seasoning, sauces or crap to make it taste like anything other than a nice rare steak.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
Dry aged porterhouse on the grill some salt and pepper 8 minutes on each side let sit covered with foil for 5 min drizzle on some first pressed virgin olive oil and have at it.

Aug 14, 2012
I use a little olive oil and cook them in a covered pan on the stove in high heat. Then add Worcestershire and Tabasco and serve with lots of garlic fried in olive oil on top and horseradish on the side. Many years ago I ran a chain of steakhouses. They used a broiler. I prefer this method. Preferred steak is a tenderloin, probably because I am missing teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.