PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Where are you sourcing your mahogany? I've found Ocooch Hardwoods has great wood and fair prices:

I was working on an idea for a fancy 7 pipe stand with mahogany and hard maple. I have to start over because I didn't make it nearly wide enough. It's unnecessarily complicated and will be a larger footprint than necessary for a 7-pipe rack. I have thin stock and pen blanks as well, I plant on fancy scroll work pieces for lifting the tiers, with the pen blanks at the corners, also fancy cut, like a staircase box newel.

General concept before I restart, if I can ever get motivated (it took me a year to get to this point, where I discovered a few issues with the design):
PXL_20240324_221055655.jpgPXL_20240324_221539275.jpg

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Where are you sourcing your mahogany? I've found Ocooch Hardwoods has great wood and fair prices:

I was working on an idea for a fancy 7 pipe stand with mahogany and hard maple. I have to start over because I didn't make it nearly wide enough. It's unnecessarily complicated and will be a larger footprint than necessary for a 7-pipe rack. I have thin stock and pen blanks as well, I plant on fancy scroll work pieces for lifting the tiers, with the pen blanks at the corners, also fancy cut, like a staircase box newel.

General concept before I restart, if I can ever get motivated (it took me a year to get to this point, where I discovered a few issues with the design):
View attachment 298896View attachment 298895
So I get my Mahogany from a friend of mine who does custom cabinets and restorations. I've got a standing order with him that whenever he finds a piece that's 8"wide and 24"+ long and 3/4" thick that I get them. I get great wood, and he gets to sell scraps. It's a nice little partnership.

I love your rack idea btw. Can't wait to see it completed.