Starting A Collection/ Returning to Pipe Smoking - Tons of Questions for Vetrens!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Hello fellow pipers!

After almost a decade of cigarette and cigar smoking I've decided to drop those habits by the wayside and go back to my original love of smoking pipes!

Here's the dilemma, back when I first started there was a fantastic little B&M shop near me called Smokers Haven where I could shop pipes of all shapes and sizes to my hearts desire. They had an amazing staff of older gentlemen who knew exactly what they were doing and even had a little workshop in the back where they made their own customs and repairs. Actually they're still open so if you're ever around Buffalo NY they're absolutely worth a trip, but I digress.

I've since moved to the Western US, Las Vegas specifically, and I have come to accept that this is very much a Cigar town with not too much in the way of pipe B&Ms, so it's online shopping for me. Now, I've already gone and got myself a little corncob for testing blends, a cheap Rossi Vittoria, and a birth year estate for my upcoming birthday from SP and SP.eu respectively.
1595446045533.png
1595446082963.png

I have a TON of questions but the $160-$240 question now on Ebay is, should I buy a 10-30 pipe lot of estate pipes to start building my rotation and collection?

Looking at all the pipes I'd really like to try, Peterson System, Savinelli Trevi 311 KS (per Muttnchop Piper recommendation), 9mm Filter style, Bringham Rock Maple filtered, Churchwarden, Radiator, Meerschaum, I'm going to be spending at least $600 if I get them all new. While I'm not entirely opposed to that I also just got into shooting and that's burning a hole in my bank account as well so I'm trying to balance my hobby spending.

Or should I just bite the bullet and buy them over time from smokingpipes because they're a well known reliable source?
PS. if anyone has better sites I'm all ears, right now I'm just using SP and Cigarsandpipes.

But if I get an estate lot I can learn about restoration as well, or is that such an involved process I'm better off paying a service $10-50 per pipe to restore them? I don't mind spending 2-3 hours sanding/polishing/staining if that's what it takes, what worries me is the Salt bath/odor extraction process cracking vintage pipes.

Like I said, I've got a million questions here hahaha. I appreciate any and all comments to assist me as I restart my journey into the world of gentlemanliness.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome back!

Most people end up doing some of both, new and estates. They both have their benefits and detriments, but I've had great success on the estate market. Rather than buying a lot though, I'd seek them out individually. Start with a few until you figure out what shapes and makers you are fond of, then build your collection from there.

Restoration is usually an easy process that only requires a couple hours of time, but again, I'd take it one pipe at a time. Nothing wrong with lots, but the big risk with estate pipes is what kind of ghost that pipe is going to have in it and how hard it will be to remove. If you buy a lot, they may ALL have that issue. Check out the estate pipes on smokingpipes.com as well, as you should be able to get a good start there and their estates department does (for the most part) a great job cleaning the pipes up before they sell them. They have a great pipe locator tool (a little pipe icon by the search bar) that will let you narrow down your search by shape, maker, length, price, etc.

Here is a good thread (if I do say so myself!) on qaulity affordable options for new pipes for those just getting started. Smokingpipes is a great site, and my personal preferred online vendor, but tobaccopipes.com, cupojoes.com, and others are great as well.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I went for new, almost exclusively. If you view it as a single, one-time, up front expense, it’s a lot. But space it out! A couple right away and then wait until they’re well seasoned.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoking Pipes has been kind of a gamble lately on estates. More than half of the eight I've bought since March look as though they haven't been touched. That being said, they were all great deals. Restorations aren't that big of a chore and it's always fun to see what will emerge as you clean. As far as cracking with a salt treatment, you can achieve the same results with alcohol and cotton balls or even just wet coffee grounds. Many readily available household items can turn one man's ignored pipe into a gem for the collection.

20180613_180543-3.jpg

20190109_174408.jpg

20200119_091902.jpg

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Question: Are you a "quality" or "quantity" kind of person?
That is a great question, I think quality but since I'm just starting I don't want to sink $90-150 on a single piece that I might not use if it doesn't smoke well, if that makes sense?

Hence why I was looking at estate lots, I figure if there's at least 15 pipes that look nice to me and smoke well out of a 30 lot buy for under $240-$300 max if I can, I'd be happy with that as a starting point for finding what I really love and want to spend $200+ on a single piece for. Then again, buying from pictures alone makes that a somewhat risky proposition because I have no idea how they function or if they have internal cracks/chips.

What I wouldn't give to have a real pipe shop here where I can go and get a hands on feel for things before I buy.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That is a great question, I think quality but since I'm just starting I don't want to sink $90-150 on a single piece that I might not use if it doesn't smoke well, if that makes sense?

Hence why I was looking at estate lots, I figure if there's at least 15 pipes that look nice to me and smoke well out of a 30 lot buy for under $240-$300 max if I can, I'd be happy with that as a starting point for finding what I really love and want to spend $200+ on a single piece for. Then again, buying from pictures alone makes that a somewhat risky proposition because I have no idea how they function or if they have internal cracks/chips.

What I wouldn't give to have a real pipe shop here where I can go and get a hands on feel for things before I buy.
Part of the reason I recommend smokingpipes for estate purchases. They offer descriptions of the pipes condition and are typically spot on.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Smoking Pipes has been kind of a gamble lately on estates. More than half of the eight I've bought since March look as though they haven't been touched. That being said, they were all great deals. Restorations aren't that big of a chore and it's always fun to see what will emerge as you clean. As far as cracking with a salt treatment, you can achieve the same results with alcohol and cotton balls or even just wet coffee grounds. Many readily available household items can turn one man's ignored pipe into a gem for the collection.

View attachment 37109

View attachment 37110

View attachment 37111
These restorations are amazing!

The thrill of seeing something beautiful emerge from those old worn pieces of timber is partially why I'm keen on looking into doing it myself. Do you use many specialty tools?

I hear the basics are 800-3500 micro mesh sand pads, Oxyclean, and elbow-grease. So I've got two of those already!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you use many specialty tools?
I've used sandpaper, micromesh, magic erasers, etc., but for stems I now use a lighter and a wet paper towel for oxidation removal and thumb buff with toothpaste for a mirror shine. For just starting out, I would use the micromesh, wet sanding through 2400 grit then dry sanding from 3200 to 12,000 grit with little pressure. Let the micromesh do the work.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have gotten some labeled as "rim darkening" that were just build-up, and "carbonized chamber" that was cake.rotf

Yeah, my main point is that they are going to be far more accurate than they myriad ebay listings out there that are in "good condition" with cracked stems, oxidized airways, chipped bowls, and snapped tenons.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015

I'm the same. My eye ALWAYS pick the most expensive one every single time. It's a curse or gift, not sure which.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Well, you've already got a "collection" of pipes. You only need one pipe to smoke a pipe.

I think it would be much better to purchase one, special pipe at a time over the next few years. You won't know, for sure, which type of pipe best suits you. Go slow, let each pipe teach you the lessons it has to teach.

You are not missing a thing by having three pipes, IMHO.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Welcome back!

Thanks! That was a good read, and I am looking at Gneod and Brigham too now that people keep bringing it up. I'd like to try a filter pipe and, from what people are saying, rock maple seems to be a good get.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks! That was a good read, and I am looking at Gneod and Brigham too now that people keep bringing it up. I'd like to try a filter pipe and, from what people are saying, rock maple seems to be a good get.

Genod is my favorite maker on that list. If you keep eyes on their selection there are fairly regularly some pipes with spectacular grain at excellent prices. All the Genods I own have great construction, nice grain, and perfect drilling.

The Brigham rock maple filters are ingenious, and personally I think the best filter on the market. That being said I smoke almost exclusively without filters, haha.

1. If you are buying on eBay, I would also recommend like @alaskanpiper - Buy one at a time instead of lots
2. If you want to buy basic estate pipes very cheap - Tim West is a pipe maker who sells beater estates on auctions which end Sunday night. I don’t know why a reputed pipe maker would also sell cheap estates, but I bought a few from him three years back and all were excellent
3. I started with new pipes and only moved to eBay estates once I am confident. That is a safe strategy
4. Smoking Pipes offer a fantastic collection of estates with an average 25% - 35% premium over eBay but you get quality, and it’s well worth the premium

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess this is a bit of a personality test, but I'd suggest you not buy pipes by the lot. I find buying each pipe separately, whether new or estate, gives you a chance, every time, to consider all of the specifications, from design, to finish, to shape, to materials, and so on. You learn a lot as you go, and this is very important to both the quality of purchases and your enjoyment of them in smoking. Same goes for blends. Don't stock up twenty tins at a time. Sample a lot for several years, in small quantities. Your tastes will change. Learn as you go. Take it slow. Enjoyment first, buying stuff second, third, or fifth. With pipes, you will find a variety that will fill various niches that you might not find in just buying a lot of pipes. You need a small pipe or two, a large one, maybe a churchwarden, an Oom-Paul. But study each one as a separate problem, challenge, and enticement. This will work much better than just raking in a bunch of pipes, or blends.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
I buy lots from time to time. I never spend more that $9-$10 per pipe on the high end. That leaves out a lot of dedicated estate sellers (and sometimes their shill bidders) and some lots with name brands that people think are gold. You have to be good at spotting diamonds in the rough and willing to learn a variety of restoration techniques. None it is very hard on a basic level (high end restorations are a whole other game). The hardest part when starting is fixing chewed through or severely bitten stems, so look carefully for those. The fun part for me is finding and experiencing pipe makers I'd never considered. I've gotten Edward's pipes, Oscar Elites, Judd's pipes, and others I probably wouldn't have purchased individually. That's the fun part.

If you are looking to split the difference, there are estate sellers out their that specialize in quality, lower cost estates below the threshold that SP usually wants to deal in. I'm talking the sweet spot of $20-$50 Mid century briars from lesser known makers. These are Judd's pipes from one of those sellers which have been excellent smokers:
BFE8D737-D08B-4F33-B172-09C77B794090.jpeg

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
I find buying each pipe separately, whether new or estate, gives you a chance, every time, to consider all of the specifications, from design, to finish, to shape, to materials, and so on. You learn a lot as you go, and this is very important to both the quality of purchases and your enjoyment of them in smoking. You need a small pipe or two, a large one, maybe a churchwarden, an Oom-Paul. But study each one as a separate problem, challenge, and enticement. This will work much better than just raking in a bunch of pipes, or blends.
Sage advice, I certainly ascribe to trying different tobaccos in small amounts!