Starship Launch

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

There is very little correlation between this failure and Challenger.

Challenger failure was completely political. There were many smart engineers who refused to sign off on the launch because it was doomed to fail, and they were silenced.

It only took Richard Feynman who was probably the smartest person on earth at that time a short time finding out the truth which the engineers knew all the time

Reactions: ThermionicScott

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a fan of Elon, but he is determined to do a second launch in the near future. If he's going to spend this money and these resources, I'd like him to succeed just for my natural sense of thrift.

I think Elon may be missing a circuit or two, but maybe that is what it takes to launch the largest rocket in the history of the world. I just don't want him to start superintending my life.

He's a strange boy with no adult supervision.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I'm no hysterical environmentalist; but, who cleans-up the booster and craft debris out of the ocean - - and, what government agency is responsible to oversee such Space-X clean-ups and at what cost to the U.S. Taxpayer? - Sherm 'Curious' Natman

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I'm no hysterical environmentalist; but, who cleans-up the booster and craft debris out of the ocean - - and, what government agency is responsible to oversee such Space-X clean-ups and at what cost to the U.S. Taxpayer? - Sherm 'Curious' Natman

Reactions: shermnatman

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought the commentary was hilarious, especially about anything beyond leaving the launch pad being "icing on the cake". Somehow, referring to the dingus exploding as icing on the cake just tickles the hell out of me.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

THANK YOU for posting that article!

And, my real point is, if as a private citizen, I dumped a bunch of metal out in the ocean or across a state park, the Po-po would be at my door to arrest me, the FAA government agents would be slamming me with air safety violations, all the hyper-environmentalists would be armed with pitch-forks and torches, screaming for my hide while surrounding my house, and with Oprah hovering overhead in her 'fat lady rescue' helicopter, urging her mindless minions thru a bullhorn to "get the bad man!!!".

And yet... when Musk does it REPEATEDLY,... :::crickets:::

- Sherm 'WTF' Natman

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
THANK YOU for posting that article!

And, my real point is, if as a private citizen, I dumped a bunch of metal out in the ocean or across a state park, the Po-po would be at my door to arrest me, the FAA government agents would be slamming me with air safety violations, all the hyper-environmentalists would be armed with pitch-forks and torches, screaming for my hide while surrounding my house, and with Oprah hovering overhead in her 'fat lady rescue' helicopter, urging her mindless minions thru a bullhorn to "get the bad man!!!".

And yet... when Musk does it REPEATEDLY,... :::crickets:::

- Sherm 'WTF' Natman
You make a lot more money when other people pay your costs!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I thought the commentary was hilarious, especially about anything beyond leaving the launch pad being "icing on the cake". Somehow, referring to the dingus exploding as icing on the cake just tickles the hell out of me.
Who doesn't like $3 billion cake?

I used to be in this business. It's all fun and games until something blows up.

Reactions: sablebrush52

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The SpaceX people were full of alternate explanations and euphemisms. I think the explosion was rephrased as the disassembly of the craft in flight, or something disingenuous like that.

I think this was the expenditure of vast sums of money without any immediate return on the investment or any hopes for the near or distant future. Hoping I will be proved wrong.

Let me see, the attack at Pearl Harbor was the submerging of major fleet forces for the purpose of submerging and complete cleaning and reassembly.

The Battle of the Bulge was the repositioning of German troops for further resistance and ultimate retreat to better real estate.

Plain English. The objective correlative. Plain speaking. Count.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
We were there. It was awesome. Well worth the 17 hour round trip.
Like everybody else, Elon rolls the dice.

View attachment 217902

There were whole families onsite.
Thousands of kids and teenagers.
NASA has been inept in effecting a viable space program.
I commend Elon for sparking dreams, and the only viable option to deploy USA satellites and supplies/personnel to and from the Space Station.
SpaceX Dragon has performed flawlessly.
Starship is a big dream.
Keep dreaming big,
not just chasing good trouble.

Reactions: fireground_piper