PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I will say I liked the first concept piece from the first season more readily - the one that played from the Dr’s fairytale, though the narrative justification for it was thin.

Reactions: telescopes

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I respect the effort. A lot of actors are theater kids. It’s better when that doesn’t seem obvious, though, as it does with a couple of the characters in this caste. I LIKE musicals. Pushing the envelope is a good thing but this seemed like a bit of an exercise. What I don’t like, is shows about shows. Shows that take you out of shows. I did finish this and then watched the “making of” thing with Will Wheaton. It occurred to me that it’s a detractor to see how the sausage is made. This is Star Trek. It’s an illusion. I’d like to see ST grittier and crueler, not fluffier.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Unfortunately, this is where they lost me as a viewer. I appreciate that a lot of people enjoyed it and I have no problem with that. It just didn’t feel like Star Trek to me.
They run the risk of undercutting the feature that got people into liking this iteration of ST in the first place: that it went back to the roots of Trek.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
They run the risk of undercutting the feature that got people into liking this iteration of ST in the first place: that it went back to the roots of Trek.
If that is what you are looking for, then check out Anson Mount and Colm Meaney in Hell on Wheels. It now has two veterans of Star Trek taking turns in the captains chair so to say.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
If that is what you are looking for, then check out Anson Mount and Colm Meaney in Hell on Wheels. It now has two veterans of Star Trek taking turns in the captains chair so to say.
I have a feeling I’ll be disappointed after Deadwood with any TV western.