PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I will be buying another Stanwell in the near future.
That is the thing with Stanwells, if you haven't had one before you think "they seem nice, but I bet not much different from other pipes in the same price range". Then you get one and suddenly you realize that they actually are really good value for money and high quality and you just have to have another one. :D

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
Nobody has posted on this one for a long time, but I would also like to express my joy of my Stanwell. It is a golden Danish Lovat. It never has smoked hot or wet. Definately in my top two pipes.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have 2; one is a 3/4 drop egg de Luxe, that is 30 years old. Lovely pipe; it is dedicated to McCranie's Murdock's Pipe.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I bought a bigger Stanwell Poker while I visited the USA last summer. It is a bit larger pipe and I quite enjoy smoking a bowl in it. Seems good quality and has a good feel.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I love Stanwells for being a wonderful smoke and the craftmanship. Their sandblast finish is the best I've seen. Shape and color also are a big plus.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
My Stan's are among my best smokers. I have two I bought new and two estates. I also have a Royal Guard which I believe is a Stanwell second. The Royal Guard is every bit as nice as the Stanwell marked pipes. These are the pipes I reach for most often. I have one Dunhill, a 1957 Bruyere Bulldog which may smoke slightly better, but for the money I go for estate Stanwell's these days. The Dunhill's just hurt my wallet too much. I'd be curious how today's new Stanwell's smoke. If I am correct they are now made in the US. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. I know they are not made in the original factory any more. By the way, I have a couple of Savenelli's too and I prefer the Stanwell's over them.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I love Stanwell pipes and the history behind them. dlattim Stanwells are currently made in Italy. The corporate headquarters are still in Denmark. In my opinion a new Stanwell would be just as good as an old one.
IMG_0089_zps9dbeb363.jpg

001-2.jpg

I have 2 -a Golden Danish Dublin and a Featherweight Lovat.

Aug 14, 2012
Back in the 1950s Stanwells were among the most easily available pipes. They all cost $18, whatever the finish or shape. I had 3 of them & lost the best one. The others were passable, but certainly not bad pipes. For an extra $4 you could get a smooth Dunhill, so when I got a job that was the end of buying Stanwells. I recently tried a few, 3 actually. The one that was made in Denmark, with a gold crown, was ok. The 2 from Italy were poor.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Count me as another fan of Stanwell pipes. I have two, one is a Pipe of the Year by Tom Eltang:
stanwell-sterling-600x421.jpg

The one that was made in Denmark, with a gold crown, was ok. The 2 from Italy were poor.
Both of mine were made in Denmark, but I am disheartened to hear that Foggy. Maybe it was bad luck. Italy is well known for their pipe makers. Seems to me that the Stanwell company can insist on perfection or else they can find another maker (which shouldn't be too difficult).

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am a Stanwell fan myself. I do not own any Italian ones but own several of the Danish. My first Stanwell is a beautiful little pipe that I paid to much for as a young man. I would not even smoke it at first because I thought is was too pretty. I kept it in a case and would only take it out to admire it from time to time! :crazy: As i grew older and wiser..lol. I realized all pipes are meant to be smoked. :puffpipe: I love it and have added several to the collection since.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I'm a big Stanwell fan I own 3 of them and none of them disappoint. They smoke as wonderful as they look. Stanwells are great for any collection and any occasion.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I'm a fan of them too, I have two.

My favorite has a stem problem that never bothered me until another member here pointed out how bad it was...now it bugs the crap outta me!

Still smokes like a champ though

mine are both made in Denmark too

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I was fortunate enough to pick up several Stanwells back twenty-plus years ago, when prices (but also salaries!) were lower, and they have become the mainstays of my collection. I've never had one that doesn't smoke beautifully, and all are a joy to behold. IMHO, they've always been a great value in the pipe world.

Status
Not open for further replies.