PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Looking at an old order on SP yesterday, I happened to notice that they marked Murray's 1A Linfield as "discontinued". Looking around a bit today, I see that the Murray's and John Cotton lines are pretty much out of stock. Are they simply out of stock, or are they going away? Both 1A Linfield and John Cotton Latakia are on my list of "nice to have to smoke every once in a while" blends.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Some tins of Whitehall... for a bargain price:

Reactions: indoeuro

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There seems to be a herky jerky pattern in supply and distribution right now, maybe caused by transport and delivery problems along the line to wholesale and retail customers. Even Prince Albert has had a hard time getting around.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
With way things are going, maybe some of them are getting out before the tobacco Nazis slam down on them.
I hate to say it, but I am thinking the same thing. Dunhill, Nat Sherman, most of D&R's, and now the weirdness surrounding Middleton/Philip Morris/Altria with the lack of supply of PA and CH; make it feels like "early warning panic fleeing" could possibly be under way.

For the love the very few of the good things left in this world which haven't been regulated out of existance or given a mandatory plastic Safe-T-Helmet, I pray I am wrong. - Sherm Natman

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I did not know that this iteration of Murrays was under Standard Tobacco.

I have asked a couple times and have not seen the answer to the question of where John Cotton's Smyrna, Number 1, and Numbers 1 & 2 have gone.

When poking around yet again on the web, I saw this on a link to the Smyrna:

"Please note: Due to FDA regulations, this blend is no longer being produced. We recommend Hearth & Home Marquee Magnum Opus as a replacement."

If the deeming isn't until August, what happened to these blends, and apparently the Murrays blends?

This doesn't hit me in the panics, since there are still other John Cottons available, but I would like to know.

Reactions: indoeuro and mingc

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
hate to say it but here goes.. .. .. I wonder if one of the distributors is manufacturing scarcity to drum up sales. Wasn't one of them caught lying about one of the Gaiwiths recently.
That may very well be happening in some instances. I have gotten Tilbury from three different vendors this year. All the tins had the same date code which made them two years old. Mind you I like that its got age on it but it leads me to believe they were sitting in a warehouse for some time before somebody's Mercedes payment was overdue and they decided to release some to the unwashed masses. I say this in good humor not a rant but yeah....my two cents.

Reactions: anotherbob

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
hate to say it but here goes.. .. .. I wonder if one of the distributors is manufacturing scarcity to drum up sales. Wasn't one of them caught lying about one of the Gaiwiths recently.
Yep and the same distributor that lied just got some in stock.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
And the blaming the deeming regs to me seems like an easy out. It reminds me so much of when they stopped selling cigs at store I worked at. They put out a public release stating that they care about our health and well they respect peoples rights to choose they choose not to sell an unhealthy product. In the internal memo it was basically we loss money on cigs because they sell too slowly and they eat up valuable real estate. You know the old have your cake and eat it too. That's my two cents. And really does anyone think at the end of the day the government wants to reduce their tax intake?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Due to FDA Regulations? What is this suppose to imply? ?
I don't know either.

What I do know is that tobacco used to be under the purview of the USDA and individual States; and all was well.

Then, after the implementation of so-called: Family Tobacco Protection Act of June 2009 - putting the control of tobacco into the hands of the FDA - that's when all sorts of troubles began. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: PipeIT and wyfbane
Status
Not open for further replies.