PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Well regardless of what some might say, Stalin has an interesting story. For several years he was known as Koba. It was his Nom de guerre and he took it from some romantic action literature. As he rose in the ranks, he wanted to obscure his beginnings as a georgian romantic, studying theology, so he changed his name to Stalin, becoming the man of steel. He certainly became what he wanted to become, skillfully destroying everything in his way.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
I looked through some Russian sites about Stalin and his smoking habit. In few places were mentioned Dunhill's pipes, as for tobacco: "Edgwood sliced", and "Prince Albert" came on few sites as well. He smoked Cuban cigars, well established fact his love for cigarettes "Gercegovina Flor". He smoked tobacco for ~50 years, quit smoking just few years before his death (followed doctors advise....).

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
"How inscrutable his ways..."
You know about "6 handshakes" rule? Well, I have just three to the tyrant in question.

The most probable answer is predominantly Dunhill pipes packed with tobacco from "Herzegovina Flor " cigarettes ("papirosy"). A mixture of Orientals grown in Herzegovina (modern Bosnia).

JFYI, I despise JS: half of my family was repressed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, same as:
Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people are six, or fewer, social connections away from each other. Often called as 6 Handshakes rule. As a result, a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It was originally set out by Frigyes Karinthy in 1929 and popularized in an eponymous 1990 play written by John Guare. It is sometimes generalized to the average social distance being logarithmic in the size of the population.
Also, a movie was made called Six degrees of separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.