PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
I've noticed some people have very large collections of pipes which is great, but I have noticed if I let any of my few pipes set for very long they have a stale taste for the first few smokes. Dose any one else have this problem or is it just me?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Better cleaning will cure that. They will always smell a bit though. You are incinerating smelly, damp material in that bowl, the residue of which seeps into the wood and will be there, reeking for the life of the pipe. Many of us find that old smell delightful.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Better cleaning will cure that. They will always smell a bit though. You are incinerating smelly, damp material in that bowl, the residue of which seeps into the wood and will be there, reeking for the life of the pipe. Many of us find that old smell delightful.
If this double, or even triple posts, it's not my fault. The site is behaving strangely, blank page. Not the "slow down" notice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cleaning yes. First, you don't want to put away a pipe with a lot of moisture left in it, either as dregs of tobacco or as moisture in the airway from condensation, saliva, or combustion. If you put away a pipe well wiped out for drying, it will dry out pretty well and stay fresh for the next smoke. Give it a day or three, at least.

Every two week or atleast once a month, do a deep cleaning of your pipes. Use your favorite alcohol, pipe cleaners dipped in it and lots and lots of Q-tips. It will help control the staleness factor. Also if I had some extra money lying around I would definitely go for an temperature controlled pipe cabinet.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
While cleaning my pipes with my favorite alcohol this morning, I knocked over a bottle which hit the floor and exploded, covering myself and my living room in very expensive 20yr old Rum. Incidentally, my living rooms smells wonderful. The moral of the story, be careful :(

Status
Not open for further replies.