PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I went to my local B&M today and got a much needed resupply on pipe cleaners, I also found a nice little no name in his bargain bin for a $10.
It's a nice pipe but I noticed the interior of the bowl is stained to match the outside. It also looks like there was some of the black "pre-carbonized" stuff they use on some pipes inside of it at one time too.
My question is: Should I remove the stain from inside the bowl or leave it as is? I've never seen a bowl like this so I'm not sure if the stain will make a difference.
Thanks!

dtallan

Lurker
Jan 10, 2011
Peterson's stains their bowls and shanks too (just lazy and cheap) and it pisses me off. Take some qtips, pipe cleaners and some Everclear and clean it all out. The stain tastes like crap and will until you build a cake. Even then it's probably in the shank too....

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
There are varying philosophies on how to deal with bowl treatments....some folks like to remove them with sandpaper or alcohol on a rag while others just smoke thru the whole business.....you'll probably end up at the same place eventually either way... :puffy:

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I went ahead and removed it. There was a certain "ick" factor in having the stain there. *shrug*

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It does to me, I hate the taste of varnish mixed with tobacco. A couple of salt/alcohol treatments usually do the trick.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I just used some everclear, q-tips and a bit of light sanding. Smoked it today and it seems to be a good smoker.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Dave, Peterson has finally listened to us and no longer dip stains. They do use a bowl coating now though.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I've always wanted to revive an old thread! :P Peterson is still dip staining bowls going by the one I just received in the mail. It is a Supreme so I didn't expect to see the stain in the bowl and shank, but there it is.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Remove it with a Dremel and sanding drum. Breaking the pipe in with bare wood enables you to taste the wood, even though it is for a very short time. It's also the perfect opportunity to make the bowl a tinsy bit wider which is best for English blends. Leave the interior wood a bit rough using 80-grit to promote quicker cake build-up for a cool dry smoke.
Because Peterson's dip stains, you really have to remove quite a bit of material to get below the stain.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Because Peterson's dip stains, you really have to remove quite a bit of material to get below the stain."
Zekest, if you are being serious about having to remove material from the bowl of a brand new pipe then bang goes me ever owning a new Pete.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.