PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Title says it all. I've had this Musico for a couple of years. I love this pipe and basically ignored the issue at first, but my wife started catching me red-handed every time I smoke it. 😜 The red stain has migrated to the bamboo as well, which is the only thing that irks me a little. Not sure how to clean up the bamboo without removing the finish.
IMG_3715.jpeg
Weird it left the workshop like this. Any advice on sealing the stummel to stop the stain coming off on my hands?

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
The only thing I could think to do to slow down the stain transfer would be to wax the bowl with either carnuba or renaissance wax. The carnuba is all natural, so it will break down over time, the renaissance is petroleum based and will need some time to cure, but it will last a long time.

My guess is that combination of the heat from the burning tobacco (opening the pores in the wood) and the moisture on your hands are the two contributing factors. As far as getting it off of the bamboo, I've got nothing, aside from carefully masking the briar off from the bamboo and then gentle applications of hydrogen peroxide to whiten it.

Alternatively, you could reach out to Musico for options. I'd think for a pipe that is upwards of $200 they would want to know if the finish was having issues, much like Peterson had a few years ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That must be one of those pipes that was stained on Friday afternoon and not done just right. I've never had that experience, but it's been posted about on Forums from time to time. It would really tick me off, especially if it smokes well otherwise. I think the only fix is to either refinish it or buff or polish off the finish that's there.

I think a vigorous polishing with a slightly abrasive clothe every time you smoke it would eventually remove enough stain and dry it out so it quits spreading, if you have the tenacity and patience for that. That's really damning on their quality control.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I love musico pipes and am sorry that you have had this experience. I had it happen a number of years ago with a Joh's pipe. It just would not stop. I
agree with MSO's suggestion. It might just work.

Reactions: Winnipeger

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My only suggestion would be maybe isopropyl alcohol. However I fear that may take it too far? Maybe warm water but on a cloth like Mso said.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You will get some remedies, be a little patient. Some great pipe carvers, restorers and DIYers that will give you some ideas.

Nice looking pipe too.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Thanks for the responses. I did wipe it down with a wet paper towel a few months ago and sort of buff it to remove as much excess stain as possible. I've done that a few times. It's better but still bleeding a little bit. I thought about isopropyl alcohol as well to try cleaning up the bamboo before finishing it with carnauba wax. Problem is I don't have a buffer. After I wiped it down I hand buffed it with some beeswax but that seems like a temporary fix at best. Hadn't thought of hydrogen peroxide. Anyway thanks for the suggestions. I might contact Musico. The pipe smokes GREAT and is super light and comfortable, so I'm keeping it no matter what. I agree with @mso489. Stained on a Friday afternoon. No finishing wax applied. Went out the door on Monday morning. Who knows? I love my Musicos though and this is the only one that's given me any issues whatsoever.

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
I have an Upshall that always leaves some red stain in my hands, even after being smoked for so many years. Never could find a cure for it. No type of wax ever solved the problem.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Had this happen to me on a 307 pete. It stopped and left beautiful grain vs the entire item being practically one color with no grain. I liked the effect but it was odd. Probably the new age plant based "safe" stains which don't work a dam. I miss the smell of new paint, turpentine and Hoppes. My wife was removing nail polish with acetone and was concerned it would bother me but I said simply what a wonderful aroma.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have encountered this issue with one of my estate Dunhill Bruyere from 70ies, waxing with renaissance and paragon waxes + wiping after each smoking with a soft cloth seemed to settle the stain.Nontheless I have to admit. I was surprised to notice that even Dunhills may have this issue or perhaps it has been poorly restrained by restorer.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Have you tried to contact the maker?
That's a fair question. I haven't. I think I would have contacted the seller first but a long time has passed since I bought it and at this point, with the seller and the maker both being in Italy, I can't be bothered. I wouldn't want to send it back or anything. I just posted about it on here in order to share my experience and hear about the experiences and suggestions of others. I'm a big fan of Musico pipes and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Reactions: Buffalo

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
It would help set the stain. Carvers use a flame.
That's interesting. I wouldn't want to put a valued stummel like this in the oven though, as an experiment. What if the bamboo and briar expand at different rates (which seems likely) and crack or separate? I can think of many potential problems with baking a pipe in the oven and I'm not about to try it! If I thought heat would set the stain, I might try gently warming it with a heat gun, but I'd be worried about the bamboo for the same reason.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
That's interesting. I wouldn't want to put a valued stummel like this in the oven though, as an experiment. What if the bamboo and briar expand at different rates (which seems likely) and crack or separate? I can think of many potential problems with baking a pipe in the oven and I'm not about to try it! If I thought heat would set the stain, I might try gently warming it with a heat gun, but I'd be worried about the bamboo for the same reason.
And yet you start a fire in it every time you smoke it...

• Haha
Reactions: peteguy