PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy931

Lurker
Aug 28, 2010
I plan on going to the show it is February 19 2011 from 9 am to 5 pm. Have always made it each year and it is going to be at St Charles this year , you can read about it in the Pipes and Tobacco magazine Pipe Events maybe it is to early to post this I don't know ?

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Randy931, where do you live? Find the Viking Pipe Club Booth at the show.
Hey guys,

I'm just going to put a plug in here for the St. Louis Gateway Pipe Show, coming up on February 19th, 2011. I'm not a member of the St. Louis Pipe Club. They're suburban, and I'm in the city, so I started my own. But their event rules, every year. It's definitely worth a trip.
Here's why you should come:
1. It's the 1st Show of the new year, and is always VERY well-attended. Several hundred people every year. And it's FREE!
2. Characters

Have you ever wondered who would wear a pipe smoking vest? Or the shirts like the one with Charlton Heston clutching a pipe and saying "From my cold, dead hands..." Or who keeps fanny packs alive? Or where you can meet attractive women who wear lace-up suede knee-boots? Or where you meet a guy who starts your conversation with: "You may remember me from last year as the guy smoking the biggest pipe in the room... I had to use both hands."

You will meet all of these and many, many more at the St. Louis Gateway Pipe Show.
3. It's one of the last shows in America where you can actually smoke on the floor of the show. Glorious.
4. McClelland, C&D, GL Pease, MacBaren, and some other micro blenders all offer AWESOME show discounts. For the last couple of years, Pease and McClelland tins have been in the $8 range. (40% off what my local B&M charges) I got a 1/2 pound tin of Chelsea Morning for $28 last year. You can seriously set your cellar up for a LOOOONG time, at prices you won't see anywhere else, including online.
5. A really cool, eclectic mix of sellers.

-Retailers from all over the countrys: Sometimes they surprise you and look to make some significant (show deals). At the very least, though, they expect you to haggle with them, unlike you may experience in a regular B &M

-Online Sellers: A lot of the guys (and girls) you've bought from online, live and in the flesh. Max from Pipes2Smoke has a booth across from me. Great dude! JamesIslandPiper was there last year too.
-Dudes without Shops:

Lots of guys show up here that don't even have an online presence, they just like pipes and spend lots of the winter cleaning them up and selling them to you at significant discounts. My booth last year was next to a guy who loves Radice estate pipes. He hasn't smoked for 6 years, but he still loves to clean them up and sell them. He doesn't go to Chicago because guys like him get dwarfed by the Smokingpipes.com's of the world (and the table fee is 2x as much) but he does great at the St. Louis show every year. AND he sold me an UNSMOKED Radice Silk Cut Poker for $70 last year. That's the kind of deal you're only going to find at a show, not even on eBay.
-Craftsmen and their Reps

There are a TON of guys who craft pipes, and a lot of them come to the StL show. This is where you get to talk shop with some MASTERS. And they love to talk to you too. Be the first to discover an up and coming carver! The NeatPipes guy is the most Italian dude you've ever seen! See how well you can bridge the cultural gap through smoking.
6. Great silent auctions and giveaways.
7. You can meet the illustrious members of the Viking Pipe Club of Saint Louis.

Let me know if you plan on making the trip!

Here's the info to get there

February 19, 2011 9:00am - 5:00pm
Heart of St. Charles Banquet Center

1410 S. Fifth Street

St. Charles, MO

636-947-8270
Lodging at Quality Inn & Suites

1425 S. Fifth St.

St. Charles, MO

Mention the Show for special $65.00 Room rate, Reserve room by January 20th.
Smoking Welcome - Both Locations with a Friday Eve Hospitality Suite
No Admission Charge

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. I live in metro St. Louis, about 35 miles southeast of St. Charles and will try to attend, if they let cob guys in.

Sounds like a terrific event. I hope it's a huge success.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am hoping to go the the show this year! I live in Oklahoma, which is a 9 hour drive to the show. The only way I will be able to make it is if I can get off for two days straight!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I am hoping to go the the show this year! I live in Oklahoma, which is a 9 hour drive to the show. The only way I will be able to make it is if I can get off for two days straight!
That's some serious pipe dedication there...9 hours? :crazy:

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Guys,

The St. Louis Show is upon us: This Saturday, February 19th.

See my post above for all the reasons you should come.

And don't forget to say hi to me, Mattia, at the Viking Pipe Club booth!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I can't wait! Two nights at Spiro's with good friends followed by the room crawl and Chuck and Mike's famous smoke filled room. 8O

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Total last minute decision - I just this second booked my flights, car and hotel.
I am coming to the St. Louis Pipe Show for the first time.
But if anybody else wants to come with me, this moment will be the ground floor of something real and fun and inspiring and true in this godforsaken business and we will do it together! Who's coming with me besides... "Flipper" here?

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Kevin, I can't wait to meet you in person!

Please stop by the Viking Pipe Club booth and say hi.

The StL will treat you right!

Status
Not open for further replies.