PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Question for the UK brethren.
Popped into my local branch of sainsbury the other day, after grabbing a few of life's necessities, corned beef, carrots and a bottle of scotch etc I headed towards the baccy counter for my usual pouch of Bruno.......... No Bruno!! According to the lady behind the counter it's been given the 'heave ho' along with a few other brands. The lady was as perplexed as I was, stating that it's one of their best sellers and it made no sense. I got a pouch from Morrissons in the end.
Wondering if it's just Sainsburys or something political from those dastardly Danes! Anybody know anything?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
at the end of the day the answer is always money. How you get there is the question. But for whatever reason they feel they'll make more money off of putting something else in that space. My gut feeling is that it's the same thing that happened here with pipe tobacco in grocery stores (here central PA) where although the stuff was moving the demographics of the people buying it were at that age when people start dropping like flies. Or in other words the product would see sharp drops in sales. Which then eventually leaves the retailer with a large supply of a product that isn't moving quickly enough and taking up space that could be used for something more profitable. And yeah the margins in supermarkets are pretty thin.
But that's of course just a guess.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and simong
Jun 9, 2018
England
Doesn't surprise me. Space at the tobacco kiosk is limited and they seem to be giving more and more of it to vapes and cheap cigarettes.

I smoke Embassy Filter and they're becoming harder to find. I used to get them at the CO-OP but they stopped doing them and now Sainsburys and Morrisons are 2 of the last places that sell them. It's because they're expensive when compared to the budget brands. The budget cigarettes are taking up more space as that's what people are buying because the price is so insane.

You can still get St Bruno from any of the UK online retailers but it obviously isn't as convenient as picking up a pouch while you're getting your groceries. Shame.

I bet the dirty bastards still sell Clan, though🤮

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Did this now Danish blend get caught up in the leaving Brexit thing with the EU??
No, Brexit hasn't affected the importation of St. Bruno & other otc's. It's still widely available at a number of shops and online of course. Sainsbury is like your Wallmart or 7-11 I imagine, one in every town and handy when you're out of baccy (or it was).

Like Bob and smudger have said, looks like St. Bruno has lost out to the vapes for shelf space. 🙁

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No, Brexit hasn't affected the importation of St. Bruno & other otc's. It's still widely available at a number of shops and online of course. Sainsbury is like your Wallmart or 7-11 I imagine, one in every town and handy when you're out of baccy (or it was).

Like Bob and smudger have said, looks like St. Bruno has lost out to the vapes for shelf space. 🙁
I wonder too if it's like Walmart in this way. Walmarts sometimes sell some interesting tobacco but it's a regional thing. If I end up in a walmart for some reason when out of town I like seeing if they have a tobacco section and what kind of stuff is there.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I had better get on ordering some.
Back when I quit smoking a pipe, you could not get St Bruno in the USA.
I had a few pouches sent from Europe by a friend, but those three pouches are all I have had.....and I liked it.
Another one I liked was Troost Special Cavendish....but that is gone now apparently. I believe Sutliff makes a clone of Troost, im gonna try it!

Reactions: JOHN72

WerewolfOfLondon

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 8, 2023
London
St Bruno, or any other pipe tobacco has not been available OTC in London branches of Sainsburys, as long as I've smoked a pipe. That being almost six years if my maths is correct. They've only ever had Gold Block, which I have never tried. It was highly gratifying to me to buy St Bruno over the counter when I was in Hastings a year or so ago. They also had Erinmore which I could barely believe. About a year before that I bought a smaller pouch of St B flake in the tobacconist in Brighton, but every other time I've bought it has been online. A wonderful tobacco of course, and one of the few I have smoked consistently since I began. Sounds like it might be time to stock the cellar.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I had better get on ordering some.
Back when I quit smoking a pipe, you could not get St Bruno in the USA.
I had a few pouches sent from Europe by a friend, but those three pouches are all I have had.....and I liked it.
Another one I liked was Troost Special Cavendish....but that is gone now apparently. I believe Sutliff makes a clone of Troost, im gonna try it!
I believe Troost is actually still available, but only in the Netherlands. I could be wrong though!

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I have not found any OTC pipe tobacco in my corner of London for quite some time. The local newsagents stopped a while ago. Even pipe cleaners disappeared - the Swan brand I used to get have been gone about a year, they say wholesalers and cash'n'carry stopped, unobtainable despite demand.

Being nudged away from these things is altogether evil.

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
To the UK members, if St Bruno is hard to get, what about snuff? Is getting a tin of Wilson's or McChrystal's at the newsagents also a thing of the past?