PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
May watch it when I'm in the mood for something morbid, the trailers are pretty full on.

Everything seems to be morbid nowadays, especially since I finally got Netflix on for the missus, as she loves her horror/gore genre stuff and there is plenty of that on here.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Its tough to watch although the plot is sort of interesting if you can get thru it.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Canadians…. Ha ha.

I’m not a horror film fan at all. But, I like my violence to not be candy coated. This is why I loved Private Ryan over most war films. War is not “whoopie!!” It’s more like “oh my God!”
Very succinct, agree. There were a handful of deaths in Private Ryan which felt genuinely heart wrenching. As you surely know, the opening storming of Omaha beach scene is validated to be among the most accurate WW2 scenes ever done.

We watched the first episode of Squid Game last night. It was a clear "no" from my wife within 10 minutes, I could watch it if I get in the zone, although it is thoroughly unpleasant, and I have trouble tolerating anywhere near that amount of cold violence.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
you either like it or you dont, but the idea that the show isnt an explicit takedown of capitalism is absurd. It requires some serious mental gymnastics to think that, especially since the creator has explicitly described it as such a critique.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's mentioned everywhere. I haven't seen it. There are so many things I know I want to see, I have a hard time catching up, so I'm really not looking for other binge viewing. But if I happen on it by mistake and become addicted, I'll confess.
It's amazing how many amazing shows are available these days. New ones, ones from before I was born, ones from other countries, ones that I never heard of, and lots more. Heck sometimes I will go on those free pirate sites and just pick a random year or country and watch something I have never heard of.
I saw recently a British film from the 1970's called "The Shout" and not only was it a weird movie but the weirdest thing is it had an early Tim Curry role and seeing him play a normal person in a weird movie is odd.
Basically if no one ever made another movie or t.v. show we'd still have more then a lifetime of things to watch.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
you either like it or you dont, but the idea that the show isnt an explicit takedown of capitalism is absurd. It requires some serious mental gymnastics to think that, especially since the creator has explicitly described it as such a critique.
Kind of reminds me of people complaining about he new Twilight Zone (which I haven't seen and don't have an opinion on if it's good or not) making social commentary.

Reactions: OlJawBone