PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Pretty happy with this one- a Squat Bulldog with 3 color Cumberland and Ooosic accent. I'm getting to where I enjoy making the partial blasts- really gives it a nice contrast between the 2 textures. This one came in at 5.3" 57 grams. Tobacco chamber 1.1" deep and 11/16 wide...This was a lot of fun...
29dkaw6.jpg

2yzfkmv.jpg

2mnlmqv.jpg

fcmwc7.jpg

j0igy8.jpg

29zaskw.jpg

2ivy51u.jpg

2d15ll5.jpg

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Beautiful pipe. The stem looks more difficult, and more complicated to make well, than the wood section. Just a guess on my part. I'd hate to get all those tapering and converging angles wrong!
Technical question:

Do you join the Oosik bone to the briar shank, or, join the bone to the stem?....and, with what adhesive....Epoxy?
Very interesting juxtaposition of contrasting materials. Masterful execution. Congrats.
Frank

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
stem looks more difficult, and more complicated to make well, than the wood section.

Stem took a lot of file work...and then sandpaper wrapped around the file...3 times my usual time on a stem...
The Oosic was bored and used CA to secure to a .5" tenon on the stummel. The stem had a Delrin tenon- those are always done with epoxy. I always use CA on decorative. If it's structural, it's epoxy.
....and due to the heavy blast, the lower section was initially slightly larger than the top- the blasting worked them closer to the same size. There are a half dozen things I learned from on this one and will change slightly next time...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Almost too pretty to smoke ... well no it isn't, and I'm thinking of my favorite flake here. But you do have to set aside time to admire the artistry on this one, the contrasting finishes and the incredible stem work. Ooh-la-la. To me, a little wear and patina on this would only increase its presence, and it looks quite durable despite the lovely design. Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.