PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Hi everyone,
I'm a newcomer to all of this and I'm thinking about my first pipe purchase. I really like the look of squat bulldog pipes. I've seen a few for a reasonable price (links below) and would like to know if the two I have found would be a good purchase for a beginner, or if there are other options. I will probably also purchase a Missouri Meerschaum "Huck Finn" as they are inexpensive and I've heard very good things about them.
The first is a John Brumfit pipe (it's listed as a Rhodesian but it has a square shank which I has thought makes it a bulldog, thoughts?). I saw a thread on another forum and there were some good things said about them. What do you all think about them?
The other is a "Jobey Filter Smoke 200". I couldn't find anything about these pipes.
I also found a "Big Ben Starter Set" which has an option for a squat bulldog, but I'm hesitant on this as I don't think it would make it past customs (has tobacco included with the package)
So what would you all recommend for me as a novice to the art of pipe smoking? Are these pipes decent for the price or should I steer clear?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Big Ben starter set seems to be back-ordered, so I'd take that off the list. Of the other two, I prefer the Brumfit, for its British make and its subtle shaping. Nothing wrong with the Jobey, but the stain and shaping looks a bit less polished. I don't think you'd go way wrong with any of these. I love bulldogs and have four or five. For a first pipe, I might nudge you toward a billiard shape for a little deeper bowl, to give you some coasting time once you get the pipe lit and relit and finally settled for a longer smoke, but I doubt the bulldogs will get in your way. Good choices, good prices. Just don't put yourself in the waiting line for the Big Ben to emerge from back-order.

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about the time it would take to actually get the bowl going. I think I might just have to keep an eye out for a billiard :)
I know my local antique store has some estate pipes for sale around the $30-$50 range

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'd go with the Brumfit. Nice dimensions of bowl i.d. and depth.

The Jobey I have smokes well, but its stem is cheapo plastic; and it's a screw-in tenon/mortise system, which, over time, is prone to "over-clocking" and eventual mis-alignment of stem and shank. Of course, Jobey sells after-market replacement links, which in itself should tell you that failure is not uncommon. http://www.cupojoes.com/jobey-6mm-replacement-link/

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Here is a page of one of my fave dealers w reasonably priced bulldogs Bulldoggies Link
Bulldoggies fascinated me from the getgo. Also, an Author, like Rossi 8320, as with a bulldoggie, is a comfortable hand fit

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Thanks for the info, Cortez. I'd imagine having to buy a new stem on a regular basis would get annoying very fast
Thanks for the link David! Some very nice looking pipes and in my price range too :D That site has such a large selection I almost got lost

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Check out Smokingpipes.com ,great selection and top notch service. :worship:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?price=-50&price=50&shape=23&shape=22&sortOpt=default&displayNum=24

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Cortez, you know you can just keep turning the jobey link stem until it lines up again right? After the threads fully tighten then it just starts spinning on the top part of jobey link, heck you can even turn it right off and the jobey link stays in the pipe and you can put the stem back on it.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
My first pipe was a Chacom Bent Bulldog. Dark in color and with a sandblast rustication. I paid $40 for it at my local pipe shop. I had always planned on upgrading and getting newer pipes but, that cheap and trusty ol' Chacom has become one of my favorite pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
snagstangl, thanks for the info. I've never had to mess with the link, but I often wondered what I'd do if I was unfortunate enough to strip the threads in the wooden shank. All things considered, like I said, the Jobey delivers a pretty nice smoke.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Red, you might like to look at the 'Aristocrat' range from Blakemar Briars here in the UK. I have a few Blakemar pipes and they're great for the money.
http://blakemar.co.uk/pipes
Regards,
Jay.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
red1....
As an alternative to buying a new pipe, think about buying a good Estate Pipe off eBay. So, you'll learn how to clean up the pipe, remove some scratches, polish the stem, and clean out and refresh the bowl. You'll eventually need to learn some of these pipe maintenance procedures anyway. You can find some good wood at huge discounts with some luck.
However, do buy yourself some good tobacco - no matter what pipe you choose. Watch some videos on you-tube, and learn HOW to properly pack, light, smoke care for a pipe.... for true enjoyment, pleasure, and relaxation.
Good luck with your quest.
Frank

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have Blakemar Squat bulldog from their de Luxe serie, and tell you what,this really offers good value,the quality of briar is nice enough, such a versatile old school model I love bulldog both in bent and straight form preferably with smallish/medium chamber size, moreover I'm pleased to tell you that this manufacturer ships internationally including U.S and Canada at very reasonabe price

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
All great advice and information
I did a quick search for estate pipes and found these three from the same seller
Pipe 1
Pipe 2
Pipe 3
Pipe 3 seem like it would need to be reamed (but this is just going off of the poor picture the seller has posted). The other two seem to be okay (I'm not sure if it is recommended to ream a meerschaum bowl anyway, thoughts?).
If no one else bids on them I think I'll pick up at least one of them; 20$ for a pipe (with shipping) is a screaming deal in my eyes

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have you considered a Dr Grabow Royalton? Great starter briars plus the added bonus of a low maintanence acrylic stem.
_MG_5641.JPG

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
mawnansmiff actually recommended their "Aristocrat" line. I went through all of their pipes and found a few, but the links I posted have been messed up :/
They're certainly nice pipes though
Out of curiosity what is the benefit of an acrylic stem over a vulcanite stem? I know that vulcanite stems tend to oxidize nd look gross over time

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Out of curiosity what is the benefit of an acrylic stem over a vulcanite stem? I know that vulcanite stems tend to oxidize nd look gross over time
That's about it. Vulcanite/ebonite is softer to clench, and I personally prefer pipes with them, but acrylic/Lucite stems require little upkeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.