PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In thirty years I've only ever used jars. Tins stay in tins until opened and then jarred once opened.
Have you had any issues with jars drying out? I never smell the tobacco in my “cellar” like others have mentioned but it could be that I have olfactory fatigue when it comes to tobacco because I’m smoking and dipping tobacco all the time. ?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have you had any issues with jars drying out? I never smell the tobacco in my “cellar” like others have mentioned but it could be that I have olfactory fatigue when it comes to tobacco because I’m smoking and dipping tobacco all the time. ?
Not once. I used to keep a small bail type jar on my desk at work and it dried out, but never in a Mason. No tobacco smell in my closet.?

Reactions: hawky454
I swear just when I think my cellar is good and safe someone like @cosmicfolklore has to come along and rattle my cage! :LOL:

The only ones that didn’t seal on me is when I followed the “just put it in the jar” suggestions. Some sealed, some didn’t. I still like jars over bags I’ve received from other members in trades. I just mention this because there is no 100% foolproof method.
yes, I remove the rings on all jars, jams, sauces, beans, salsa, etc... If you’ve ever had a can of waterbathed low-acid beans or sauce bubble out in the back of a pantry, taking the rings off is the best way to keep an eye on things, before they stink up the kitchen.

Reactions: mingc

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The only ones that didn’t seal on me is when I followed the “just put it in the jar” suggestions. Some sealed, some didn’t. I still like jars over bags I’ve received from other members in trades. I just mention this because there is no 100% foolproof method.
yes, I remove the rings on all jars, jams, sauces, beans, salsa, etc... If you’ve ever had a can of waterbathed low-acid beans or sauce bubble out in the back of a pantry, taking the rings off is the best way to keep an eye on things, before they stink up the kitchen.
Very interesting! So you haven’t had a huge loss or anything? Most of the jars over 10 years old? I really thought the jars were a fool proof method but it’s good to have someone rattle your cage from time to time. There are just so many differing opinions on the matter. I’m not going to go through my cellar now to re-jar anything but I’ll keep a watchful eye on my jars as I can but it’s gotten so big, sometimes just getting something out from the bottom to smoke becomes a chore these days.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like these threads because there are lots of good ideas and it makes me feel less crazy to hear what other people do. I jar it and forget it when ordering bulk. I keep my non rotation jars and tins in the basement in plastic totes. I have started smelling a bit of tobacco when I open the lids so I am figuring a jar is leaking. I'll probably never be able to figure out which one though

You know, even if a jar doesn't seal, I had some set in there for over 5 years unsealed. It wasn't like shitdust of anything. Chances are, over fretting about all of this just isn't necessary. But, I keep a mental list of "best practices" and I try my best to give the tobacco the best chance at aging. Although, with all that I do, it is disappointing to pull out a jar of 5 year old LTF or FVF and compare it to a newer jar to see nothing different. Not a damn thing. I don't have 20 years to wait around. Hell in 20 years, I should be comfortably placed in a hole.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is interesting. Have you had any that had failed seal when you bought them?

I did a numbers check and out of the total of 17 (SG and GH&Co) square tins I bought over the last year 3 came with seals allredy failed and two of them had hot glue blobs keeping the lids from falling off. Meaning the seal must have failed at the factory and hot glueing the lid back on is their modus operandi.

It made no matter whether I bought the tin from a retailer or a private party, no failures. The few I bought from private parties were almost all from pipestud and he knows how to store tins.

Big swings in temp and humidity are the death knell for tins. l
keep my place at 73-74 and have a whole house dehumidifier on my hvac system. I never change those numbers.

Reactions: Gecko

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Back around 2002 the Solani 633 100 gram tins came in a weird gold cellophane that kept the tobacco fresh for years. Never saw that cellophane on the 660
This is what all of my Siver Flake looked like. Put it in jars as soon as I received it.

Solani_Silver_Flake_Blend_No_660_Pipe_Tobacco_Tin_100g_sealed__59585.1450113037.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
no clue if it's just my experience but if I pop a square tin open at the same time as a round tin it seems like the square tin dries out faster. Could be the tobaccos but I doubt that as flakes seem to take longer to dry before smoking then ribbons even.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Do the 100g cylindrical tins from brands such as rattrays, drucquer, etc. stay sealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.